ALLENTOWN, Pa. - A Berks County man has been arrested in connection with a crash that killed the passenger of his motorcycle on Route 222 in Lehigh County.
Shawn Balthaser was charged Monday with one count each of involuntary manslaughter, homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence, and homicide by vehicle, according to Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin.
Balthaser, 49, of Hamburg, crashed his motorcycle on Route 222 at Mill Creek Road in Upper Macungie Township, Lehigh County, near Allentown, on the night of July 31, police said.
His passenger, Yvonne Rohrbach, 52, also of Hamburg, died at the scene; Balthaser suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
An investigation revealed that Balthaser was driving under the influence and acting recklessly or with gross negligence at the time of the crash, Martin said.
Several events honoring Martin Luther King Jr. Day will be held throughout the region on Monday.Read More »
- Early morning fire destroys Hamburg church
- Exeter police search for suspected armed robber
- Fire breaks out at church in Hamburg
- Rain, wind cause downed trees, wires across region
- PSU-Berks students bring THON to Reading
- Man accused of robbing same Reading store twice arrested
- Allentown residents in Fairview area experience gas outages
- Several service events to honor Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Lopatcong Township residents frustrated by sinkhole surge
- Lehigh County coroner looking for next of kin
- Family of 5 displaced from home after blaze
- Dorney Park holds hiring party
- Police respond to incident in Bethlehem
- 2 injured in 2-car crash in Montgomery County
- Re-Bra Program helps local women in need
- Girl scout cookies arrive in Lehigh Valley