READING, Pa. - A Berks County man has been charged with first- and third-degree murder in the death of his infant son.
Detectives with the district attorney's office announced Wednesday the arrest of Joshua Eric Leas on charges that also include aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of children.
"It is unthinkable," said District Attorney John Adams.
The 4-month-old baby, identified as Logan Jeffrey Leas, was rushed by ambulance from his home in South Heidelberg Township to Reading Hospital on the morning of June 16, authorities said.
An examination revealed bleeding on the brain, and Logan was transferred to Hershey Medical Center for further treatment.
Logan died of his injuries at Hershey three days later. An autopsy revealed the cause to be a traumatic head injury, officials said.
"The pathologist determined that this baby was violently shaken," Adams said. "Children are fragile. Young children are very fragile... and we have to be there to protect those that cannot protect themselves."
Detectives said their investigation led them to determine that Leas is responsible for his son's death.
"This is just a very, very, very sad case," Adams said. "Whenever we have to investigate the death of a young child, it is very, very chilling, emotional, and very sad."
Leas, 31, was arrested late Wednesday morning at his workplace in Wyomissing and arraigned on the charges. He was due to be committed to the Berks County Jail without bail.
According to Leas' social media profile, he is the owner of Designs by Leas in Wyomissing and serves as president of the Reading Hockey League.
Seven more people have been identified as suspects in a multi-million dollar drug operation that was busted by law enforcement authorities over the summer.Read More »
- Man charged with attempted homicide in shooting in Reading
- Family concept take-out/delivery spot comes to Bern Township
- Off the Gridiron - Reading High School Cheerleaders
- Test of Reading City Hall's air raid siren a success
- Annual Greek Food Bazaar underway in Reading
- 'Gorgeous,' Taylor Swift's new song, decoded
- DA: Family argument ends in deadly shooting in Northampton County
- Lehigh Valley Zoo hosts annual Halloween celebration
- Study finds victim race factor in imposing death sentences
- Chestnuthill woman, 21, reported missing
- Car runs off road, jumps sidewalk in Jim Thorpe
- Lehighton man killed in crash on Northeast Extension
- David Jaindl holds open house on concept plans for Mary Immaculate Center
- Northampton County DA seeks signatures needed to run for Congress
- It's a Girl: Allentown family throws one-of-a-kind baby shower
- Lehigh Valley Steelhawks hold open tryouts