PHILADELPHIA - Steve Hillegass is a proven competitive eater, having shattered a record at the Pennsylvania Dutch eating contest at the Reading Fair in August 2017, but to him, it doesn't mean a thing until he eats the wings.
He'll be competing in Wing Bowl 26 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia on Friday.
"It's kind of scary. It sounds like a lot of fun," said Hillegass. "It's more work than I ever imagined."
He has his entourage, along with his Eagles-themed float, ready for a grand entrance. It's not just for his fandom, but the commonality they share.
"Underdogs! I'm the underdog here," said Hillegass. "I'm as underdog as they get."
No one in the Wing Bowl can eat without the meat. That's a job for P.J. Whelihan's Pub and Restaurant. The Haddon Township, New Jersey, location will provide the wings, but managers at the Spring Township location dish what makes them the choice of the Wing Bowl.
"For one, they're fresh. They're never frozen," said Matt Andrews, the Spring Township restaurant's kitchen manager, "so they come through the back door and get cooked while they're fresh. Never hits the freezer once."
Hillegass stays humble, knowing he'll face some of the finest wing-eaters in the world.
"There's something that everybody has a little talent for," said Hillegass. "Let's have fun with it."
Three Republican-appointed federal judges will consider a request by eight GOP congressmen in Pennsylvania, including two who represent Berks County, to halt the use of a new congressional district map in this year's elections.Read More »
- Governor Mifflin parents sound off about safety concerns
- Pothole-riddled road causes problems for Centre residents
- Man accused of embezzling more than $400K from employer
- Reading High School to install new, HD security cameras
- Pa. Senate leaders, US congressmen sue over district map
- Commissioner: Pa. plans to eliminate county-owned homes
- Superintendent: 16 Parkland school buses destroyed, 14 damaged in fire
- Federal judges to hear Pennsylvania district map challenge
- PHOTOS: Fire destroys Parkland school buses
- Check in with Eve Russo and baby Maeve
- Life Lessons: Budgeting on a roller coaster income
- Man shot in the arm outside Allentown nightclub
- William Allen student arrested, charged with making threats
- Planners updated on Five City Center, Lafayette College projects
- Hearing on fracking draws dozens, many opposed
- Tractor-trailer wreck closes I-78 for hours Thursday night