POTTSTOWN, Pa. - A gun trafficking ring operating in Montgomery County has been busted, and two of the suspects are from Berks County.
Six men have been apprehended; a woman remains on the loose. The suspects stand accused of buying guns and selling them to people who weren't allowed to have them, also known as straw purchases.
"If you are unfamiliar with straw purchases, when a person who's allowed to purchase weapons does and what they do is turn it over to a drug dealer or somebody else and that gun then makes its way to the street unidentifiable," said Chief Richard Drumheller, Pottstown Police Department, one of the departments involved in the roundup.
Police said Michael Hill of Lower Pottsgrove Township was the ring leader. He was charged with corrupt organizations and the illegal transfer of firearms, among other things.
Two of the men involved in the ring are from Berks County. Authorities identified them as Andrew Person of Reading and Chad Hill of Birdsboro, who is just 18 years old.
Authorities said 13 guns, including semi-automatic weapons and handguns, were directly connected to members of the ring.
Drumheller said operations like this are dangerous for any community.
"What happens is that gun finds its way to your community, and that's when you start getting shootings," he said.
The dreary weather did not stop a big crowd from coming out for the annual Reading Holiday Parade Saturday.Read More »
- 2017 Reading Holiday Parade winners announced
- 69 News crew enjoys Reading Holiday Parade
- Neighbors near destroyed senior home marvel at heroism
- Bust near school yields heroin, ingredients to make K2
- 10 new murals dedicated in West Reading
- Fire in Tilden: 'I don't know how long he would have lasted'
- High winds expected throughout the day
- Domestic assault suspect arrested after intense standoff
- State Police identify suspect in deadly police shooting
- Upper Macungie Township Police announce seat belt enforcement
- Heartwarming video lands local family on Ellen Show
- Reading Holiday Parade brings out some holiday cheer
- A tale of two mayors and a police station in East Greenville
- Santa and ABATE bring Christmas a little early
- Lehigh defeats Lafayette, wins Patriot League title
- AP: Wolf starting to look like 'two-term Tom' as 2018 approaches