BERKS COUNTY - Four Berks basketball teams won at home on Wednesday night in their District 3 openers. The Wilson and Reading boys advanced, along with the Fleetwood and Berks Catholic girls.
(1) Wilson used a big fourth quarter to pull away from (17) Lower Dauphin, 49-39, in the District 3-AAAA first round.
Travaun Coad and Sam Smith led the way for the Bulldogs, each scoring 16 points. Jaylin Calloway added another 10 points.
Wilson will meet (8) William Penn in the quarterfinals Saturday at the Giant Center at 1:00.
At Reading High, the (4) Red Knights topped (20) Cedar Cliff, 75-67, to earn a spot in the quarterfinals.
Gil Benz led Reading with 20 points. Meme Burdine dropped 15, Isael Abreu had 14 and Khary Mauras added 12 in a balanced scoring night for the Red Knights.
Reading will play (12) Hershey Saturday at 3:00 at Milton Hershey.
In the girls action, (4) Fleetwood held on for a 46-41 victory over (13) ELCO in the District 3-AAA first round.
Kendra Bamberger and Cyre Virgo each dropped 14 points to lead the Tigers.
Fleetwood advances to Saturday's semifinals where it will meet division rival (5) Berks Catholic.
The Saints rolled past (12) Eastern York, 58-40, in their first round game.
BC's Devon Merritt led all scorers with 23 points. Katrina Balatgek tallied 18 points while Courtney Wensel added another 11 for the Saints.
That game will be Saturday at 2:00 at Exeter.
Other Berks scores in the District 3 tournament Wednesday:
Cedar Crest def. Exeter boys, 59-33
West York def. Conrad Weiser girls, 51-37
Palmyra def. Hamburg girls, 53-33
Steel-High def. Antietam girls, 75-35
Rescue crews in Berks County were pressed into action after an SUV and a tractor trailer collided Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
- Woman sentenced in death of man with maggot-filled wounds
- Bowl-O-Rama owners pinned in legal battle
- Exeter man charged in alleged check fraud scheme
- Reading City Council awards towing contract
- Leibrandt, Pullin pace Reading in series opener at Harrisburg
- Royals' season ends in Game 6 of first round series
- Updated Day care owner charged in baby's 2016 death, DA says
- Updated Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Updated Driver trapped when SUV, tractor trailer collide in Maidencreek
- Man accused of hitting, killing wife with truck to stand trial
- Updated Woman sentenced in death of man with maggot-filled wounds
- State police asking for help in Chester County cold case
- Periods of rain or drizzle this afternoon; spotty rain or drizzle continues through early tomorrow
- NASCAR star Dale Earnhardt Jr. to retire at end of season
- 5K aims to promote importance of flexibility
- Four visits by Easton police equal one arrest