SPRING TWP., Pa. - Days after an elderly woman was reportedly hospitalized following a swan attack in Spring Township, a second woman has come forward with a similar account.
Wendy Koert, of Lower Alsace Township, told 69 News she was viciously attacked by a swan at the same pond outside of the Corporate Campus at Spring Ridge.
It happened in June 2009, as Koert was attempting to photograph the birds. She approached the fence surrounding the pond, at which point a swan grabbed her by his beak and whacked her repeatedly.
"Everybody, of course, thinks it's funny until I show them the [injury] pictures," said Koert. "Then they see the devastation on my legs, and all of a sudden, it's not funny anymore."
Koert said the attack landed her in the hospital, in-need of a partial knee replacement.
"It was horrid," she said.
Her account is similar to that reported last Friday when an 82-year-old woman was reportedly knocked down and pecked by a swan as she walked along a nearby paved trail.
Family of the victim said she suffered a punctured lung, but is now at home recovering. That victim could not be reached for comment on Friday.
Koert said she was angry to hear of the 82-year-old woman's account, and she hopes something can be done to better fence in the swans.
Since the attack, she has filed a lawsuit against the Carlino Development Group Inc., who owned the property at that time. A hearing is scheduled for April 1.
On Friday, a representative with Carlino told 69 News the company no longer owns the property and had no comment on the case.
A man who robbed two stores within hours of each other in Berks County on Wednesday is now behind bars, according to police, who said they believe the same suspect may have committed other holdups in Berks and Lehigh counties.Read More »
- Ace Hardware to open distribution center near Berks-Lebanon border
- 287(g) program hot topic at Berks commissioners meeting
- More than 100 businesses to strike on May Day
- Reading Health System honors its volunteers
- Disguised deadly drug in Lancaster could soon be in Berks
- Prosecutors seek harsher sentence for ex-congressional aide
- Woman dies after being attacked by her dog in Upper Macungie
- WFMZ's Lauren Kusik dances with the Lehigh Valley stars
- Police standoff underway in Bethlehem
- Allentown doctor pleads guilty to tax crimes
- Local lacrosse teams raise money for cancer charity
- Grieving father urges parents to get gun lock after tragedy
- Woman arrested for arson in Minersville fire
- I-80 WB reopened after ATV and car wreck
- Civic Theatre in Allentown launches capital campaign
- Eric Frein sentenced to death in trooper's slaying