READING, Pa. - Police are putting out a plea for help in finding the man who ran down a 4-year-old boy with his car and took off.
The accident happened a little after 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 700 block of Gordon Street in Reading.
The boy, identified by family members as Jacob Ortiz, was flown to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, where he was last reported to be in critical condition.
"The child sustained serious injuries. He was actually flown from Reading Hospital to the Children's Hospital in Philadelphia with head injuries, other various serious injuries," said Sgt. Matthew Schappell, Reading Police Dept.
Jacob's grandparents said it has not been easy waiting for updates on their grandson's condition.
"I feel bad," said Gregorio Rodriguez, the victim's grandfather. "The cars in the area have to be more careful."
Police are looking for a silver Chevy Impala or Malibu. The vehicle was driven by a black man, investigators said.
Jacob's family members are begging the driver of that vehicle to come forward.
"Please come forward," said Jolanda Sanchez, the victim's cousin. "He's only 4-years-old."
Family members said Jacob was expected to undergo more tests Thursday, as well as a possible surgery to his shoulder.
Anyone with information that can help police track down the driver can call Crime Alert Berks County toll-free at 877-373-9913.
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River
- Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Body found in Schuylkill River in Cumru Township
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Local police step up patrols for Memorial Day weekend
- Bullets blast way into District 3 championship game
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival