READING - The Wilson West Lawn and Berks Catholic boys advanced to the BCIAA finals on Wednesday night following semifinal wins at Santander Arena.
For the third time this season, the Bulldogs defeated rival Reading High, 49-46, in the late semifinal.
Wilson trailed by as much as seven in the first half, but the Bulldogs overcame a sluggish offensive night to take the lead and hold off the Red Knights in the second half.
Travaun Coad's game-high 19 points was a big reason why. Coad also surpassed the 1,000 career point mark in the game.
Jaylin Calloway was also in double figures for the Bulldogs, scoring 11 points.
Meme Burdine and Tyree Gibson paced Reading, combining for 22 points. But the Red Knights also had a tough night shooting. Burdine had a chance to tie the game on a three-pointer in the final minute, but he couldn't get the shot to go.
In the earlier semifinal, Berks Catholic cruised past Exeter, 67-44. The Saints advanced to their third consecutive county final since becoming BC.
The Saints received a balanced scoring effort. Cooper Kutz led all scorers with 17 points. Nana Foulland and Isaac Lutz each tallied 16 points and Connor Jack poured in 11.
Brett Gilbert and Taylor Trojanowski paced the Eagles, scoring 12 and 10 respectively.
Weather permitting, Wilson will meet Berks Catholic Friday night for the county title at Santander Arena in what will be a highly anticipated game.
A man who robbed two stores within hours of each other in Berks County on Wednesday is now behind bars, according to police, who said they believe the same suspect may have committed other holdups in Berks and Lehigh counties.Read More »
- More than 100 businesses to strike on May Day
- Reading Health System honors its volunteers
- Disguised deadly drug in Lancaster could soon be in Berks
- Prosecutors seek harsher sentence for ex-congressional aide
- House votes to toughen animal cruelty laws, tethering rules
- Crash closes Route 422 East between Mount Penn, I-176 exits
- Updated Convicted cop killer Eric Frein sentenced to death
- Updated Robbery suspect may be linked to other holdups, police say
- NFL Draft kicks off in Philadelphia
- Updated Arts Around Town: Allentown JazzFest joins with Allentown Art Museum in diverse programming
- Possible lethal batch of heroin leads to 6 overdoses, 1 deadly in Easton
- Clouds and some sunshine today as a big-time warm-up gets underway
- Tractor trailer catches fire at Rt. 22 and Schoenersville Rd. in Bethlehem
- Ex-Penn St officials to be sentenced in June over Sandusky
- Allentown police arrest 3 for passing fake checks
- Updated Police: Suspect in killing of Delaware trooper shot dead