READING, Pa. - Embattled Pennsylvania state Rep. Tom Caltagirone has taken a big step forward in his bid for a 22nd term.
With 55 percent of the vote and all precincts reporting, Caltagirone, a Berks County Democrat, managed to come out on the winning end of a primary election challenge from community activist Manny Guzman.
The contested race in the 127th House District isn't the first political fight the longtime lawmaker has had to face in recent months.
Gov. Tom Wolf and other leaders have called on Caltagirone to resign amid accusations of sexual harassment involving a former staffer.
The allegations came to light late last year, after published reports revealed that $248,000 in taxpayer money was used to settle a 2015 complaint by a legislative staffer who worked for about a decade in Caltagirone's Reading office,
Caltagirone has denied any wrongdoing.
The Democrat will now go up against Republican Vincent Gagliardo in November's general election.
A Berks County woman is facing criminal charges in the overdose death of her cousin, a student at Lehigh Carbon Community College.Read More »
- Armed Forces Day parade set to take place, rain or shine
- Dentists providing $1M worth of free dental work in Reading
- Possible cougar spotted roaming through Berks neighborhoods
- Rain not going to ruin Armed Forces Day parade in Berks
- Berks 'moms' group weighs in on gun violence awareness
- Reading Public Library receives $10K donation
- PA State Police Corporal Seth Kelly Honored At Back The Blue Event
- 2 dead in bus crash recalled as 'beloved,' 'beautiful'
- ArtsQuest hosts Royal wedding watch party
- Americans fete royal wedding in pubs, hotels and homes
- Host of Royal Wedding tea party joins 69 News
- Several accidents tie up traffic on I-78 near Hamilton Boulevard
- Tractor-trailer crashes on I-78 westbound near Summit Lawn
- History's Headlines: Some like it hot and some do not
- Lehigh Valley Cricket Club gives demonstration of the game for 69 News
- Devices safely detonated after Allentown bomb squad called to Whitehall Township