READING, Pa. - A wild ride on a school bus taking students from Reading to the Pottstown area has been caught on camera.
Officials with the Reading School District said there are about 125 at-risk students being bussed to Delaware Valley High School near Pottstown.
Superintendent Drue Miles said the contract between the school calls for two buses and a van, with a limit of 48 kids per bus.
Parents and police are concerned, and said the kids could be in danger.
The cell phone video was shot by a Delaware Valley High School student. It shows a brawl break out in the middle of the aisle, reportedly while the bus is moving. You can even see kids standing up right next to the bus driver.
"I fear for my son's life, I fear for their lives because it only takes one hit," said Chris Hinkle, whose son rides the bus.
Hinkle's son Xavier shot the video last week. According to Xavier, only one bus was operating that day and he claimed more than 70 kids were on it.
"We're cramped up like we're literally cramped up squished together," said Xavier Rhodes. "It's crazy, everybody is smoking, everybody cursing the fights, I mean anything can happen."
According to police, two weeks ago a Delaware Valley bus driver confronted a student about smoking on a bus. The 13-year-old allegedly punched the driver in the face.
69 News showed police the video and they said it's a safety concern, especially if the bus is moving.
"The kids have to be seated in their seats. They can't be standing in the aisle," said Trooper David Beohm with Pennsylvania State Police.
Hinkle kept his son home from school Monday. He reached out to school officials and wants to see something done before his son gets back on board.
"They shouldn't have to drive like that, their safety should be the first thing," said Hinkle.
The superintendent told 69 News on the phone the school is responsible for transporting the kids.
We spoke with officials at the school over the phone and they told us they will look into this issue, and take any steps necessary to fix it.
Victim in fatal crash has also been identified.Read More »
- Al Boscov's daughters, lifelong friend to speak at service
- Man shot, killed by Reading police after pointing shotgun at officers
- Warm weather in Berks means time for ice cream
- District 3 Wrestling: AAA and AA semifinal roundup
- Walker guides Red Knights into district semis in final game at Geigle
- Thunder strikes Royals on the road, 4-2
- Updated Man shot, killed by Reading police after pointing shotgun at officers
- Warm and breezy today with strong to severe t-storms this afternoon
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Updated Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter
- Updated Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Police: Driver owes nearly $13,000 in unpaid tolls, fees
- Motorists seeing slightly lower gas prices in New Jersey
- Judge: Only one Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Lafayette College asks for temporary dorms amid rise in applicants
- Local movie experts preview the Oscars