SPRING TWP., Pa. - Local Penn State students are on the way to this year's THON dance marathon in State College.
Students at Penn State University's Berks Campus in Spring Township showed off how much they raised over the past year for THON, before they received a check for $5,000 from the Berks chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association (PSAA).
That money was raised during a special Penn State-themed Reading Royals game and jersey auction on January 21. The check also included a matching donation from the chapter.
"Over the seven-year history of this event, our chapter has been fortunate to work with an outstanding partner organization like the Reading Royals Hockey Club, the Berks benefiting THON student club at Penn State Berks, and our committee of dedicated volunteers who put in significant time to coordinate this event," said Mike Rowley, the PSAA president. "Together, we’re committed to raising awareness and funding to support THON, an organization led by Penn State students dedicated to the pursuit of a cure for pediatric cancer."
Now, the local students -- senior Anna Lau, and juniors Michael Aboulhouda, Amanda Alpuche, Marissa Catteau, and Kailen Moyer -- are off to State College to take part in a 46-hour no-sitting, no-sleeping dance marathon to benefit Four Diamons, which supports families battling pediatric cancer.
The event starts Friday and goes through Sunday at the Bryce Jordan Center at Penn State University Park.
In 2016, the grand total raised by THON was $9,770,332,32. Penn State Berks' record of $51,622.59 ranked third among all PSU campuses for fundraising events and activities throughout the year.
To donate, contact the campus life office at 610-396-6076 or go to THON's website. Go to the drop-down window labeled "Please give the following organization credit for my gift" and select "Berks" or Org #77.
The Boyertown girl's basketball team defeated North Allegheny, 46-35, on Friday night at Hershey's Giant Center as the lady Bears won their first-ever state championship.Read More »
- Royals pick up a point in overtime loss to Adirondack
- Pennsylvania Adult and Teen Challenge rehab center expands
- Reading boys enjoy pep rally, not taking support for granted
- Reading Red Knights sent to championship game in style
- Driver killed, another injured in crash in Exeter
- Police ID victim of fatal pedestrian accident in Marion
- BBB: Reading Wins First Ever State Championship
- Arrest made in overnight Allentown shooting
- Fmr CIA Director reportedly accused Michael Flynn of working to oust Fetullah Gulen
- Fmr Russian spy shares stories of life as double agent
- Man accused of raping 11-year-old girl multiple times
- Allentown man dies in motorcycle crash
- IronPigs show off 2nd largest video board in MiLB
- PennDOT to resurface 15 miles of highway in Bucks County
- 12 mile stretch of Northeast Extension to close overnight
- Law enforcement pushes for return to mandatory minimum sentences