WYOMISSING, Pa. - It may not have stopped in Berks County, but the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus still managed to entertain a crowd.
69 News found several people, many with cameras in hand, gathered Monday afternoon along the Norfolk Southern rail line that runs alongside Penn Avenue in Wyomissing.
They were there for a glimpse of what is said to be the last journey through Berks of a Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus train.
The circus' "blue unit" train passed by on its 573-mile trip from its last performance in Trenton, New Jersey, on Sunday to its next show in Richmond, Virginia, on Thursday.
The 56-car train stretches nearly a mile long and carries more than 300 circus performers, staff members and maintenance personnel, as well as their families. Four of the cars are custom-designed for animals.
The crew spends six hours unloading the train and 12 hours setting up the show in each city the circus visits, according to Ringling Brothers.
The circus' "red unit" train also headed for Virginia from Ohio on Monday, for shows in Norfolk and Hampton. From there, it will travel north to Wilkes-Barre for performances April 6 - April 9.
These are the last days for "The Greatest Show on Earth." Feld Entertainment, the circus' parent company, announced in January that the 146-year-old circus will hold its final performances in May.
- Crews knock out 2-alarm house fire near Bechtelsville
- Grillers BBQ for a good cause
- Cabela's honors 'hometown heroes'
- Group hopes to open medical marijuana dispensary in Berks
- Hopkins pulls off massive comeback to down Alvernia at NCAA Regional
- Kingery's 2nd blast propels Fightins to 6th-straight win
- Updated Cosby 'holding up' as jury pick gets underway
- Updated Cooler and cloudy this afternoon with areas of rain and fog
- Coroner identifies Lehigh County man killed in Allentown police-involved shooting
- BUSH to rock Sands Event Center this summer
- Easton's Common Space Kitchen gives food entrepreneurs a launching point
- LIVE original lineup to perform at Musikfest this summer
- Rock icons Godsmack to headline Musikfest Aug. 9
- Lehigh County man charged with attempted homicide
- New Jersey police allege gun company sold defective guns
- Small plane crashes in Pennsylvania field, pilot not hurt