AMITY TWP., Pa. - A Berks County community showed its collective heart over the weekend as it rallied around a boy who has just half a heart.
Mavrik Laxton, 12, of Amity Township, battles an extremely rare medical condition in which he is in dire need of a heart transplant.
Friends held a benefit Saturday, called "Mavrik's Miracle Breakfast With Santa." The fundraiser aimed to help the family out with medical expenses.
Mavrik was very appreciative for all the people who attended.
"I'm very happy that they came out and what God could do," he said.
The breakfast came just a few weeks after Mavrik was sworn in as the honorary mayor of Amity Township.
- DOUBLE HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION LEADS TO ARREST IN POCONOS
- Pocono doctor picked to work as translator at Olympics
- Evacuated Bethlehem residents hope they will be able to return home
- Bethlehem Township preparing to oppose PennEast Pipeline
- Emmaus unhappy with trash hauler
- Muhlenberg Township appoints school liaison
- Animal shelters working to cope with surge in cats
- First responders readying for snowfall
- Flu hitting Berks early and hard
- Volunteers clean up for Martin Luther King Jr. Day