BOYERTOWN, Pa. - A longtime mission to consolidate the three fire companies that serve Boyertown and its surrounding area will officially come to an end Tuesday when the new Boyertown Area Fire and Rescue goes into operation.
The new department will bring together the Friendship Hook & Ladder and Keystone Steam #1 companies, both in Boyertown, and the Liberty Fire Company of New Berlinville.
All three companies have been working for several years to combine their firefighting operations, according to Jeff Bealer, the department's public information officer.
The result, Bealer said, is the Boyertown Area Fire and Rescue, which will serve the borough and neighboring Colebrookdale and Douglass townships.
The new department, Bealer said, is unique in that it is all-volunteer and still funded by donations, fundraisers and each of the municipalities it serves. Each of the individual companies will also continue to operate its social quarters in support of the new department.
Dave Shainline will serve as the department's fire chief.
A brazen crime spree that spread up and down the East Coast of the United States may have come to an end in Berks County.Read More »
- Grillers BBQ for a good cause
- Cabela's honors 'hometown heroes'
- Crews knock out 2-alarm house fire near Bechtelsville
- Fire destroys barn near Robesonia
- Group hopes to open medical marijuana dispensary in Berks
- Hopkins pulls off massive comeback to down Alvernia at NCAA Regional
- Updated Busted in Berks: Group suspected in Victoria's Secret thefts along East Coast
- Many in Cosby jury pool have opinion about guilt
- Updated Police: Upper Saucon man shoots nephew, chases him on golf cart
- DA: Man mocks, assaults person with cerebral palsy
- Coroner identifies body found under Linden Street Bridge
- Buckeye Tavern reopens 2 years after devastating fire
- Clerk shot in Whitehall robbery listed in stable condition
- Montgomery County launches app to help those in need of CPR
- Cooler and cloudy this afternoon with areas of rain and fog
- BUSH to rock Sands Event Center this summer