CUMRU TWP., Pa. - The coroner has identified the driver of a car who was killed in a crash on Route 724 in Berks County late Tuesday night.
Matthew David Schultz, whose last known address was in East Greenville, Montgomery County, died of injuries to his head, neck, and lower limbs, according to the coroner.
Schultz, 24, was taken to the hospital, along with his passenger, after their car hit a tree in the 1300 block of Route 724, between Route 10 and Valley Stream Road, in Cumru Township, police said.
Schultz died a short time later. The passenger, Cassandra Lee Rambo, 22, of Pottstown, remained hospitalized Wednesday for treatment of serious injuries, police said.
Neither victim was wearing a seat belt, according to investigators, who said that excessive speed appears to be the primary cause of the crash.
The accident, which happened around 10:20 p.m., closed Route 724 until approximately 2 a.m. Wednesday.
The dreary weather did not stop a big crowd from coming out for the annual Reading Holiday Parade Saturday.Read More »
- 2017 Reading Holiday Parade winners announced
- 69 News crew enjoys Reading Holiday Parade
- Neighbors near destroyed senior home marvel at heroism
- Bust near school yields heroin, ingredients to make K2
- 10 new murals dedicated in West Reading
- Fire in Tilden: 'I don't know how long he would have lasted'
- Updated High winds expected throughout the day
- Domestic assault suspect arrested after intense standoff
- A tale of two mayors and a police station in East Greenville
- Upper Macungie Township Police announce seat belt enforcement
- Heartwarming video lands local family on Ellen Show
- Reading Holiday Parade brings out some holiday cheer
- Santa and ABATE bring Christmas a little early
- Lehigh defeats Lafayette, wins Patriot League title
- AP: Wolf starting to look like 'two-term Tom' as 2018 approaches
- Chainsaw explosion kills man from York County