READING, Pa. - A homicide victim in Reading died from a gunshot wound to the head, the Berks County Coroner's Office said Saturday morning.
The victim, Darryl A. Jones, 26, of Birdsboro,, was pronounced dead at 5:10 a.m. Friday.
His body was found in an alley while police were responding to a report of a broken window in the 1100 block of Birch Street.
Police are continuing to investigate the shooting.
People who live in the area told 69 News they didn't hear gunshots Thursday night, only fireworks.
"I was over at the neighbor's at a cookout and we were talking about how the booms, you don't know if they're firecrackers or gunshots, said Lisa Garcia, whose house is next to the alley where the body was found.
"Obviously, the fireworks probably contributed to this, that it wasn't reported because of people possibly mistaking the gunshots for fireworks," said Sgt. Matthew Schappell, Reading Police Dept. "We never got shots of calls being fired, or anything relative to this man in the alley."
Danielle Mojica also lives next to the alley. She said she fears for the safety of her daughter and other kids in the area.
"It's not safe at all, you know what I mean, like there's kids everywhere, especially around here. Every house on this block there's kids, every house and that's not cool," Mojica said.
Police said they still don't have a motive in the case just yet.
Anyone with information about the homicide is asked to call Crime Alert Berks County at 877-373-9913. A cash reward of up to $10,000 is being offered for information that leads to an arrest.
- 2.3 magnitude earthquake hits Lancaster County
- Local libraries fight to survive budget cuts
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society
- Legendary coach honored at Kutztown Area High School
- Boyertown drops Pope John Paul II in PAC baseball tilt
- Police say couple had guns, thousands of dollars of drugs
- Trial begins for accused getaway driver in 2015 killing spree
- Eric Frein sentencing continues Monday, focus shifts to Frein's father
- Updated Small earthquake rattles parts of Pennsylvania
- Updated Police arrest third man allegedly tied to drug deal assault
- Updated Mostly cloudy with a bit of rain this afternoon; rain continues through early Wednesday
- Street closures scheduled for downtown Allentown this week
- Pet owners learn animal CPR to help their furry friends
- Life Lessons: 3 Jars
- State police: 1 killed in crash with State Police vehicle
- Philadelphia cops raid pot-smoking party, arresting 22