READING, Pa. - The wheels have been set in motion to bring one of America's Most Wanted back to Berks County.
Accused killer Miguel Torres was in court in Italy on Monday. A judge ordered the former Exeter Township man to remain behind bars because he poses a flight risk, according to Italian newspaper Bologna Today.
69 News obtained photographs that captured the moment Torres was arrested. It was the first glimpse of the man in more than seven years.
"We are working with the Department of Justice in preparing the appropriate extradition documents," said Berks County District Attorney John Adams, whose office is working closely with federal authorities.
Torres has been on the run since September 2005 when he allegedly killed his wife Barbie execution-style in downtown Reading.
Torres, 42, had been on the U.S. Marshals Service list of 15 most wanted people in America. He was also profiled on the Fox TV program, "America's Most Wanted."
"That particular case was never out of anyone's mind," said Chief Bill Heim, Reading Police Dept.
According to Bologna Today, Torres was working for a family in Italy, earning a living as a nanny. The paper reported Torres was alone at the home Friday watching TV before opening the door to police. An external hard drive was reportedly found, and Torres had abrasions on his fingertips.
U.S. Marshals told 69 News that Torres has been in Italy for at least a month, possibly longer, using the alias Rene Rondon. Torres also spent time in the Dominican Republic following his wife's killing, officials said.
"We are very grateful that Mr. Torres has been apprehended and we look forward to his return to the U.S.," said Adams.
According to Adams, the extradition process is very tedious, and it could take awhile before Torres is back in Berks County.
- Crews knock out 2-alarm house fire near Bechtelsville
- Grillers BBQ for a good cause
- Cabela's honors 'hometown heroes'
- Group hopes to open medical marijuana dispensary in Berks
- Hopkins pulls off massive comeback to down Alvernia at NCAA Regional
- Kingery's 2nd blast propels Fightins to 6th-straight win
- Updated Cosby 'holding up' as jury pick gets underway
- Updated Cooler and cloudy this afternoon with areas of rain and fog
- Coroner identifies Lehigh County man killed in Allentown police-involved shooting
- BUSH to rock Sands Event Center this summer
- Easton's Common Space Kitchen gives food entrepreneurs a launching point
- LIVE original lineup to perform at Musikfest this summer
- Rock icons Godsmack to headline Musikfest Aug. 9
- Lehigh County man charged with attempted homicide
- New Jersey police allege gun company sold defective guns
- Small plane crashes in Pennsylvania field, pilot not hurt