UNION TWP., Pa. - An English teacher at Daniel Boone Area High School has been charged with having a sexual relationship with one of her students.
Kristy Risell surrendered to authorities Thursday, said detectives with the Berks County district attorney's office, who investigated the case.
"I hear about it everywhere else, but I never thought it would happen in my backyard," said Robert Sutter, whose son attends the high school.
Risell, 31, had an inappropriate relationship with a 15-year-old male student at Daniel Boone between January and April 2012, said detectives, adding that the relationship began with text messages and led to private meetings at Risell's home in Exeter Township.
"I didn't think anybody in Daniel Boone would stoop to those standards," said Patrick Evans, a former student.
Detectives cited one encounter in which they said Risell picked up the boy at his home one day in March and drove him to her home, where she engaged in sexual activity with him.
"Upon its initial receipt of information related to the events underlying this criminal prosecution, the district administration immediately notified the appropriate law enforcement and governmental authorities, as required by applicable law," the Daniel Boone School District said in a statement.
"Why would you do something like that," asked Danielle McCall, a current student at Daniel Boone.
Risell was charged Thursday with statutory sexual assault, institutional sexual assault, indecent assault, indecent exposure, endangering welfare of children, unlawful contact with a minor, and corruption of minors. She was freed on $20,000 bail.
Risell, a teacher with Daniel Boone since 2004, voluntarily resigned from her teaching position at Daniel Boone on Thursday, said district officials, who added that she has been on leave from her job since April.
"We lost it all," says woman whose home was destroyed. "No words can describe it. It's gone. It's gone."Read More »
- National Weather Service assessing Pennsylvania storm damage
- Bucknell's Nana Foulland earns Patriot League Player of the Year honors
- Reading Fightins enlist help of students to design special jersey
- Police, coroner probing death of 18-month-old girl
- Berks coroner seeks next of kin for Muhlenberg man
- Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Updated Hazmat situation reported in Northampton County
- Man pleads guilty in Stockertown gun club case
- Judge rules Bill Cosby case to be decided by outside jury
- Updated Storm cleanup underway in Bushkill Twp.
- Updated More threats against Jewish Community Centers across the nation
- Updated Man lands in jail on outstanding warrant, $1 bail
- East Stroudsburg needs $1.8 million for dam repairs
- Man dies days after severely burned by cigarette
- Updated Health Beat: ThermiRase: Wrinkle eraser
- Police say pot complaint leads officers to felon hiding gun