HARRISBURG, Pa. - A man convicted more than a decade ago of committing one of Reading's most brutal murders now has a date with the executioner.
The Pennsylvania Department of Corrections announced Wednesday that Secretary John Wetzel signed a notice of execution for Michael Pruitt.
He's scheduled to die by lethal injection on December 29.
Pruitt has been on death row since May 3, 2005, when he was sentenced for the murder of Greta Gougler in Reading three years earlier.
Gougler was a 69-year-old Sunday school teacher who was robbed, raped, and strangled inside her home on North Ninth Street on September 28, 2002.
A jury from Montgomery County was bused to Reading for the trial because of extensive pre-trial publicity given to the case in Berks.
"We've had huge complaints from our residents about speed in their developments," said Sgt. David Bentz with the Exeter Township Traffic Safety Unit.Read More »
- Football excitement reaches fever pitch in Berks County
- Kutztown police: Graffiti is not art; it's vandalism
- Eagles fever spreading as NFC Championship game nears
- Reading Hospital dedicates part of campus to Berks couple
- Economist: New tax law may have limited impact on job growth
- Restaurant employee helps save customer's life
- Updated Violent car crash occurs near Sands Casino in Bethlehem
- Updated Firefighters quickly douse Easton church fire
- Updated FERC approves PennEast pipeline project
- Congressman Patrick Meehan denies allegation in misconduct claim
- Afghan hotel attack ends, Taliban claim
- Dorney Park makes Eagles bet with Minnesota's Valleyfair Park
- Coroner ID's man killed in Allentown crash
- Man killed in fatal fire in Bethlehem Twp. ID'd
- History's Headlines: Man of Steel
- Firefighters battle fatal fire in Bethlehem Twp.