BETHEL TWP., Pa. - Hundreds of jobs are coming to Berks County.
Dollar General plans to spend tens of millions of dollars to build a new facility and attract workers from around the region, officials said.
The distribution center will be constructed at Berks Park 78, an industrial park in Bethel Township, officials said.
The national retailer says it plans to spend $100 million on the distribution center.
Governor Tom Corbett made the announcement Tuesday.
"My goal is simple: to make sure there is a job out there for every Pennsylvanian who wants one," Corbett said. "Our effort to bring Dollar General to Berks County means that 500 people will have the opportunity to earn a paycheck."
Berks County Commissioner Christian Leinbach was in Harrisburg with Governor Corbett when the announcement was made.
"I know that they intend to move as quickly as they can to get this facility up and operational," said Leinbach. "The sooner they're up and operational, the sooner we'll see jobs for this region."
Officials said the 900,000 square-foot facility will add 500 jobs inside the warehouse, and an additional 75 jobs for truckers.
Officials also said new hires will not only come from Berks County.
"So it won't be just from Berks County, it will also probably be Schuylkill, Lebanon, and maybe even Dauphin in terms of a work force radius," said Jon Scott, CEO of Greater Reading Economic Partnership, the organization that helped with the marketing of the project.
"This distribution center is an investment in the growth of our company, as well as the state of Pennsylvania and Bethel Township," said Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling.
Some have expressed concerns that the construction could cause traffic problems.
But officials said the location of the construction project should ease any increase in traffic.
"It's right on Route 78. So it's an ideal location for warehouse and distribution," said Scott.
Dollar General officials said construction on the distribution center is scheduled to begin in the fall, and hiring is scheduled to begin in late 2013.
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River
- Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Body found in Schuylkill River in Cumru Township
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Local police step up patrols for Memorial Day weekend
- Bullets blast way into District 3 championship game
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival