READING, Pa. - Downtown Reading's newest hotel is starting to take shape.
Work at the future site of the DoubleTree Hotel and Convention Center in the 700 block of Penn Street has been going on for the past few moths.
Now, construction crews have begun putting the walls of the building's foundation into place.
Ground was broken for the $50 million hotel, located across from the Santander Arena, in December.
"We've been dreaming of this for seven years," said Al Boscov, who was instrumental in bringing the project to reality, at the groundbreaking.
Set to open next summer, the eight-story hotel will feature 209 guest rooms, multiple conference rooms, a grand ballroom, an indoor swimming pool and a four-star restaurant and bar.
The downtown location will be the first for DoubleTree Hotel in Berks County. The chain is part of the Hilton Worldwide company, which does have a presence in Berks.
Much of the project's funding is coming from private investors, including entrepreneur Jack Gulati, who recently purchased the Reading Royals ice hockey team.
- Two zoos mourn the loss of Ernie the giraffe
- Memorial Day services across Berks County
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather
- A place of healing for veterans
- Walking a mile in their shoes
- Weather stops big guest at Pottstown Memorial Day parade
- 'Taps' echoes over Bethlehem
- Marking Memorial Day in the Lehigh Valley
- No extreme warmth or cold over the next 7 to 10 days
- Car fire slows traffic on I-78 near Hellertown