WEST READING, Pa. - A Berks County man has been charged in a hit-and-run crash that knocked a man off his moped.
Brandon Deppen was committed to the Berks County Jail on charges of accident involving death or injury - not properly licensed, accident involving damage to attended vehicle/property, failure to stop and give information or render aid, and driving with a suspended license. His bail was set at $10,000.
Deppen, 31, was behind the wheel of a Mitsubishi sedan when it hit the rear of a moped at Fifth and Penn avenues in West Reading on Tuesday, police said.
The moped's operator was knocked to the ground, suffering minor to moderate leg injuries, police said. He was taken by ambulance to Reading Hospital for treatment.
Deppen actually got out of his car and helped to move the moped and debris off the street before leaving the scene, police said.
Investigators said they managed to identify Deppen through images captured by nearby surveillance cameras. He was driving with a license that was suspended for DUI, police said.
- DOUBLE HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION LEADS TO ARREST IN POCONOS
- Pocono doctor picked to work as translator at Olympics
- Evacuated Bethlehem residents hope they will be able to return home
- Bethlehem Township preparing to oppose PennEast Pipeline
- Emmaus unhappy with trash hauler
- Muhlenberg Township appoints school liaison
- Animal shelters working to cope with surge in cats
- First responders readying for snowfall
- Flu hitting Berks early and hard
- Volunteers clean up for Martin Luther King Jr. Day