MUHLENBERG TWP., Pa. - A fallen pipeline worker has been hospitalized following a difficult operation to rescue her from a trench.
Emergency crews were dispatched around 2:15 p.m. Friday to the 400 block of Mountainside Road in Muhlenberg Township.
A 49-year-old woman working to install a natural gas pipeline in the area slipped and fell into an eight- to 10-foot-deep trench, officials said.
The woman suffered a back injury, but she told rescue workers she could still feel her extremities, officials said.
The remote location made it difficult for rescue crews to reach the scene, so they deployed all-terrain vehicles to aid their efforts and called in a helicopter to transport the victim to the hospital.
Officials had no information about the woman's identity or extent of injuries.
The Oley Valley High School baseball team honored a fallen teammate on Friday.Read More »
- Garner's grand slam propels Blazers in District 3 opener
- Local PIAA Track and Field top finishers
- Vietnam veteran tapped as grand marshal of Exeter parade
- Marc Anthony to come 'full circle' with return to Reading
- Umpire remembers crash victim as 'outstanding young man'
- Berks lawmakers explain Pennsylvania's compliance with Real ID law
- One Freddy winner's emotional day
- Teacher who had sex with student in cemetery going back to jail
- New Police raid home in Phillipsburg
- New Camelback Road bridge reopens
- Updated Alpine Mountain Ski area sold
- Updated Shortage of elder care workers a cause for concern
- East Greenville moves forward with police department
- Oley baseball players pay tribute to fallen teammate
- Students celebrate return of hometown hero
- Suspect who lost hand in home invasion sent to prison