LONGSWAMP TWP., Pa. - A teacher and coach who amassed more than 530 wins now has his name etched into his school's history.
Sam Lovello, a legend in Berks County wrestling, is getting immortalized into Brandywine Heights Area High School lore.
"He had the ability to get the most out of every kid that ever walked through these schools," said current wrestling head coach Steve Adam.
Lovello passed away last September. He was 69 years old.
Steve Adam was Lovello's assistant coach for two decades, and he even wrestled for Lovello while he was in high school.
"With the passing of Sam I don't think those shoes are fillable," said Adam.
"Because he was an educator for so many years as well as a coach, he had the opportunity to touch a number of kids' lives both on and off the mat," said Athletic Director Rick Romyn.
The gym at Brandywine Heights Area High School is now named in Lovello's honor.
"Sam was more than just an educator and a wrestling coach," said Adam. "He was a friend, he was a father figure to most. He was respected in the community. He was just a great man, and he's sorely missed."
Adam and others who knew him said he loved wrestling, teaching, and being with the kids at the school. You can't spell Lovello without 'love.'
Criminal charges have been filed in the alleged case of two children being forced to perform sexual acts on their babysitter.Read More »
- Time to hit slopes at Bear Creek Mountain Resort
- Family, friends gather to remember, mourn Miguel Reyes
- 'Shop with a Cop' makes kids' Christmas brighter
- Fire destroys garage in Leesport
- Exeter evicts Viva as country club's caterer, pub operator
- Grease fire damages home near Barto, sends man to hospital
- Updated Period of light snow Friday; highest totals south, east
- Updated Wolf signs kids health coverage bill, urges Congress to act
- Alleged sexual 'predator' facing additional rape charges
- Babysitter charged in sexual assault of 2 young children
- Updated Old parking tickets may be forgiven in Philadelphia
- Pete Rose defamation lawsuit dismissed after agreement
- Happy birthday, Coldilocks! Oldest polar bear in US turns 37
- SEPTA marks Philadelphia trolley's 125th anniversary
- Lehigh Valley businesses react to GOP tax proposal
- Grand jury: Penn State showed 'shocking apathy' to drinking