READING, Pa. - Family and friends gathered in the 200 block of Pear Street in Reading on Thursday to remember Miguel Reyes.
The 24-year-old city man was shot Wednesday around 8 p.m. as he was was walking to a store near his home. He later died at the hospital.
Reyes' siblings said he was a loving father to his 1- and 3-year-old sons. They also said he was very close to his nieces and nephews.
One of Reyes' nephews, Alex, left a message at his memorial.
"I love him. I miss him," Alex said weeping.
Reyes' sister, Karen Battistini, told 69 News her family was home when they heard gunshots and neighbors yelling that Reyes was down. She said some of the kids saw their uncle on the ground.
Joshua Edwards said the turnout for his brother's vigil on Thursday evening is a testament of how he touched many lives.
"I just feel like, he just impacts a lot of people with his life. I mean, he was only 24. He did a lot in 24 years," Joshua said.
William Edwards, Reyes' stepfather, said he believes the shooter mistook Reyes for someone else.
Meanwhile, Joshua Edwards said he hopes the homicide reminds others to cherish every moment with those they love.
"Just keep your loved ones close to you and make sure you keep them out of harm's way," he added.
- With a film in the works, fans fight over Wawa/Sheetz debate
- Berks students walk out of schools to protest gun violence
- Funeral draws hundreds for boy, 12, born with half a heart
- VF Outlet adjusting to new home at 'The Knitting Mills'
- Southwest offers apology, $5K to passengers on damaged jet
- Wrong-way driving precedes crash on Route 61 in Berks
- Near perfect weather for Earth Day today
- Bloomsburg mayor accused of soliciting prostitutes
- Updated Fire tears through Moore Township home
- Coroner identifies woman found dead in Monroe County
- WFMZ & Dorney Park Team Up For 2nd Food Truck Food Drive For Second Harvest
- Food Truck food drive draws a crowd
- Police investigating shots fired at Allentown tattoo shop
- State police seeking information on jewelry theft in Bucks County
- Funeral for Barbara Bush held Saturday
- History's Headlines: Charles Ellet: Bridge builder, warrior, Pennsylvanian