ROCKLAND TWP., Pa. - A Berks County family is still reeling from a devastating fire that destroyed their home one week ago.
Family members said they're lucky to be alive, but now they have to figure out how to keep living.
"There was the barbecue grill and what's left of our generator," said Kevin Lee Spatz, as he toured what's left of his Rockland Township home. "All that was going through my head was get the family out."
The smoke and flames last Friday were so intense, firefighters told him they were surprised the whole Spatz family didn't pass out. Kevin said his wife still wanted to grab some personal items.
"We got to get out of here or we're going to die," he said he told her at the time.
They have their lives but not much else.
"Everything's toast," said Spatz from the center of his home as he looked up at the sky. "Got a sun roof now."
The accidental fire started in the kitchen, investigators said.
"That was the refrigerator, believe it or not, a brand new refrigerator. Now, it's a gutted refrigerator," said Spatz.
"I've lost my children's sonogram pictures," said Shawn Spatz, adding that she's lost more than just things. It's the memories.
The Spatzs bought their home from Shawn's grandparents.
"It's just devastating," said Shawn Spatz. "You can't even imagine, can't imagine."
We have to try and imagine, she has to live it.
"All that keeps going through my head is that we barely made it out. We barely made it out," said Shawn Spatz.
For a week, they've had to rely on the kindness of others.
"I never realized people would be as generous as they are, and we have a long haul to go yet," said Shawn Spatz.
The family dogs are staying at Cindy Tails Groomery in Oley, which is collecting donations for the whole family of four. The Spatzs have insurance but aren't sure they can afford to rebuild.
"But if we can at least rebuild, that's the biggest thing. That way, we can move back in," said Kevin Spatz. "And we'll have a place called home."
Allentown, PA 18102