READING, Pa. - The father of a man charged with attempted murder in the shooting of a teenager in Berks County is now, himself, behind bars.
Michael Hale stands accused of helping his son, Matthew Hale, with escaping after the younger Hale allegedly shot a 13-year-old boy in Washington Township, near Barto, on April 14.
Two days later, Brevard County, Florida, sheriff's deputies apprehended Matthew Hale and his girlfriend, Sydney Carper-Sellers, in Melbourne. Matthew Hale, they said, was in possession of drugs and more than $30,000 in cash.
Investigators said they later learned that, after the shooting, Michael Hale instructed his son and Carper-Sellers to meet him at an address on West Campbell Road in East Greenville, Montgomery County, where the older Hale helped his son break into multiple safes that contained a large amount of cash.
Matthew Hale and Caper-Sellers then fled the area with the money, officials said.
Michael Hale, 53, of East Greenville, was charged with two counts of hindering apprehension/prosecution and committed to the Berks County Jail on $100,000 bail.
Carper-Sellers was also charged with two counts of hindering apprehension/prosecution. She has been freed on $25,000 bail.
Matthew Hale is still being held in Brevard County on the charges there, according to Berks County District Attorney John Adams. He won't be returned to Pennsylvania until that case is closed. In Berks, he is facing charges that include attempted murder and aggravated assault.
As for the shooting victim, who has since turned 14, he has undergone several surgeries as part of his treatment for multiple gunshot wounds.
Parents who have kids in the Governor Mifflin School District spoke out Thursday night at a community forum and town hall-style meeting, as the district looked to take the conversation off social media and bring it face-to-face with parents.Read More »
- Pothole-riddled road causes problems for Centre residents
- Man accused of embezzling more than $400K from employer
- Reading High School to install new, HD security cameras
- Pa. Senate leaders, US congressmen sue over district map
- Commissioner: Pa. plans to eliminate county-owned homes
- Franklin Street Station on track for opening of gastropub
- Parkland schools closed after fire tears through bus garage
- Man shot in the arm outside Allentown nightclub
- Updated PHOTOS: Fire destroys Parkland school buses
- Check in with Eve Russo and baby Maeve
- Life Lessons: Budgeting on a roller coaster income
- William Allen student arrested, charged with making threats
- Planners updated on Five City Center, Lafayette College projects
- Hearing on fracking draws dozens, many opposed
- Tractor-trailer wreck closes I-78 for hours Thursday night
- Governor Mifflin parents sound off about safety concerns