PHILADELPHIA - The United States attorney's office has indicted two men on federal charges in a series of armed robberies that spanned four counties last summer. A third person has been charged as an accessory.
Dale Mentzer and Heath DeRizzo were charged Thursday with two counts of interference with interstate commerce by robbery, four counts of bank robbery, two counts of use and carrying of a firearm during a crime of violence, and two counts of convicted felon in possession of a firearm.
Samantha Henderson was charged with accessory to robbery after the fact.
According to the indictment, Mentzer, 36, of Waymart, Wayne County, and DeRizzo, 37, of Manheim, Lancaster County, committed armed robberies at a Sovereign Bank in Kutztown on July 11, 2013; a Northwest Savings Bank in Myerstown, Lebanon County, on July 16, 2013; a First Cornerstone Bank in East Pikeland Township, Chester County, and the Rodeway Inn motel in Muhlenberg Township, Berks County, on July 18, 2013; and a National Penn Bank in Northampton, Northampton County, and Cihylik Greenhouse in Allen Township, Northampton County, on July 19, 2013.
Both men were arrested about a week later in Ocean City, Maryland.
If convicted, Mentzer and DeRizzo each faces a sentence of 32 years to life in prison, a fine of up to $2.5 million and five years of supervised release, officials said.
Henderson faces up to 10 years in prison, three years of supervised release and a fine of up to $250,000.
Reading loves Marc Anthony, and it appears the Grammy Award-winning pop artist loves Reading.Read More »
- Umpire remembers crash victim as 'outstanding young man'
- Berks lawmakers explain Pennsylvania's compliance with Real ID law
- Wilson WL boys repeat as District 3 lacrosse champions
- UGI Energy Services presents scholarship to Berks foundation
- Kutztown baseball making most of playoff run
- Boyertown looks to enhance privacy in restrooms, locker rooms
- Updated Gov. Wolf signs Real ID law, expects new licenses in 2019
- Updated Man killed in crash with fire truck in Allen Township
- Updated Marc Anthony to come 'full circle' with return to Reading
- Updated Pa. health officials warn of possible measles exposure
- Updated Black bear spotted roaming Leopard country
- Health Beat: HPV cancers on the rise
- Passing showers but more seasonable Friday
- PPL deploying smarter technology
- Pennsylvania man sets Plinko record on 'Price is Right,' goes wild
- Strawberries are ripe for picking in Northampton County