READING, Pa. - The Fightin Phils stormed back from a 5-2 deficit on their 13th annual morning game to defeat the Richmond Flying Squirrels 8-5 to avoid being swept. Peter Lavin hit a go-ahead three-RBI double in the bottom of the 8th inning off Edwin Quirarte to give the Fightins the lead. Reading is now 31-30 on the season.
The Fightin Phils came swinging out of the gate against Flying Squirrels starter Adalberto Mejia as Albert Cartwright and Carlos Alonso hit back-to-back singles. Brock Stassi walked in the following at-bat to loaded the bases for Sebastian Valle who hit a two-run double to give the Fightins a 2-0 lead.
Perci Garner retired the side in the top of the 1st inning but got into trouble in the top of the 2nd inning. The Flying Squirrels sent everyone up to the plate as they scored four runs to take a 4-2 lead. Devin Harris hit a RBI single followed by Myles Schroder bringing in a run on an error by Brock Stassi. Tyler LaTorre scored on a catcher's interference from Sebastian Valle to add another run.
Richmond scored another run in the top of the 3rd inning off Garner as Tyler LaTorre grounded into a double play to score Angel Villalona from 3rd base and give Richmond a 5-2 lead. Garner left the game after 3 1/3 innings as he allowed five runs (three earned) off five hits with six walks and one strikeout.
Brock Stassi put the Fightins within one run of the Flying Squirrels 5-4 in the bottom of the 6th inning as he hit a two-out two-RBI double off Flying Squirrels reliever Jose Casilla. Reading tied the game at 5-5 off Casilla in the bottom of the 7th as Anthony Phillips hit a sacrifice fly to score Aaron Altherr. Altherr helped set up the sacrifice fly as he advanced to third base from first base on a throwing error by Casilla.
Peter Lavin broke up the 5-5 tie with two outs and the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th inning as he hit a bases clearing three-RBI double off reliever Edwin Quirarte to give the Fightins a 8-5 lead.
Sebastian Valle was ejected in the 4th inning by home plate umpire John Libka.
The Fightin Phils continue their home stand on Tuesday evening as they welcome in the New Britain Rock Cats (28-32) for a three-game series. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 pm at FirstEnergy Stadium. The Fightins will have left-hander Adam Loewen (0-0, 0.00 ERA) on the mound.
Courtesy Reading Fightin Phils.
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River
- Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Body found in Schuylkill River in Cumru Township
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Local police step up patrols for Memorial Day weekend
- Bullets blast way into District 3 championship game
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival