Fire damages popular restaurant, bar in Lower Alsace

Klinger's on Carsonia: 'We will be back'

LOWER ALSACE TWP., Pa. - Volunteer firefighters managed to save much of a popular restaurant and bar in Berks County early Sunday morning.

No one was injured, but the fire at Klinger's on Carsonia caused at least $150,000 in damage, mostly to the kitchen area of the restaurant on Carsonia Avenue in Lower Alsace Township, officials said.

The fire started behind a wall in an area where employees cook in the bar, according to Lower Alsace Fire Marshal Richard Gerhart, who noted that it was caused by either a gas leak or an electrical problem.

The restaurant is vowing to be back.

"We pulled in and there was just a crowd of people here to welcome us and offer their support, offer anything, whether it was a shoulder to cry on, a hand to pick up a hammer and do work they could do," said co-owner Mark Klinger. 

The business was closed at the time of the fire, but a tenant renting above the bar was able to get out safely.

Gerthart said the restored mural of Carsonia Park inside the restaurant was untouched by the fire.

The family-owned restaurant has two other locations, Klinger's of Fleetwood and Klinger's at the Airport in Bern Township.

The restaurant is known for its community involvement, hosting fundraisers, and donating to charities over the years.

DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

This Week's Circulars


Berks Area News

Latest From The Newsroom