EXETER TWP., Pa. - A fire destroyed a barn and caused heat damage to a neighboring home in Berks County.
The fire broke out just after 11 p.m. in a large barn at Schoffers Road and Pennsylvania Avenue in Exeter Township.
The fire leveled the entire barn, leaving just a portion of the frame standing.
Emergency communications officials say no injuries were reported.
Exeter Township Fire Chief Robert Jordan said 10 fire departments needed about an hour-and-a-half to get the blaze under control.
Jordan said the barn was already fully engulfed in flames when crews arrived, so the emphasis was placed on protecting neighboring properties and power lines from embers and heat generated by the fire.
"There were a lot of people concerned about the fire spreading," he said.
A home directly the street had minor heat damage, according to Jordan.
Jordan said the fire was so intense its glow could be seen at least a mile away.
No one was injured, according to Jordan. The chief said the barn appeared to contain several cars and construction equipment.
Neighbors told 69 News the owner of the barn was away at the time of the fire.
The fire cause and origin is still undetermined, according to the fire chief. Jordan said investigators will be back on scene Monday trying to figure that out.
A candle is to blame for sparking a fire that displaced four people in Berks County on Thursday, officials said.Read More »
- BARTA approves bus route, schedule changes
- Berks sheriff nabs attempted homicide suspect
- Racers take to track at Ultimate RC Pitstop
- DYN-A-MITE Auctions a family affair
- Akron avoids sweep with a 4-2 win in Reading
- Firefighters fight 3-alarm fire in Birdsboro
- Coroner called to crash on Route 309 in Lynn Twp.
- Updated Christie's push for opioid cash from insurer hits roadblock
- Updated Muggy and unsettled with showers and a t-storm today
- Updated BARTA approves bus route, schedule changes
- Updated Convicted sex offender twice violated sentence by contacting victim
- Easton police arrest man on drug charges
- Sunrise Chef: Whole Foods
- Updated Racers take to track at Ultimate RC Pitstop
- Life Lessons: Men and depression
- Man hit by vehicle in Mahoning, taken to hospital