READING, Pa. - Firefighters from Reading and the surrounding suburbs battled a wind-driven brush fire on Mount Penn Thursday afternoon.
Crews got the call around 2 p.m. for a fire in the area near Richmond Street and Oak Lane.
Initial reports from city firefighters on the scene were that the fire was slow-moving and about 5,000 square-feet in size, but stronger winds quickly caused the fire to spread, covering as many as 10 acres of land on the mountain.
A tall column of smoke could be seen from as far away as the Broadcasting Square shopping center in Spring Township.
The Berks Emergency Strike Team, along with crews from as far away as Ruscombmanor Township and Gibraltar, worked the ground as a plane drops water from above.
Their efforts to stop and extinguish the fire were hampered by dry conditions on the mountain, officials said.
One firefighter was overcome by smoke and treated by paramedics on the scene. There have been no reports of other injuries.Images: Brush fire on Mount Penn
Berks County will no longer provide sheriff or emergency services department resources for the popular Reading 120 bicycle race in 2017.Read More »
- UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Local tree service companies face busy week after storm
- Millersville women edge Kutztown in PSAC Tournament opener
- Middletown's buzzer-beater sinks Berks Catholic in District 3 semis
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Updated Nearly record warmth this afternoon and tomorrow with a few showers
- It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Updated Police arrest Hunterdon man on assault charges
- Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting