MUHLENBERG TWP., Pa. - Firefighters made quick work of a fire that damaged the Burger King in Muhlenberg Twp., Berks Co., forcing the restaurant to close until further notice.
The call came in around 4:20 p.m. Tuesday for a reported fire and smoke filling the building, located at the North 5th Street Highway and Bellevue Avenue, said James Pollock Jr., the township's fire marshal and a detective with the Muhlenberg Township Police Dept.
Firefighters from Goodwill of Hyde Park, Temple, Central of Laureldale and Spring Township responded to the scene.
The crews arrived to find a fire inside the southwest corner of the restaurant and extending into the ceiling. They quickly went to work, keeping the fire from spreading beyond where it already was, Pollock said.
Investigators still haven't determined what sparked the fire, which caused approximately $5,000 in damage. Smoke damage will likely push the total above $10,000, Pollock said.
Township health officials responded to assess damage to food from the smoke and soot.
The Burger King will remain closed until the damage is cleaned up and the health department clears it to reopen, Pollock said.
A Central firefighter was transported to Reading Hospital for treatment of a heat-related illness, officials said.
Last Memorial Day, 24-year-old Ryan Benjamin of East Vincent Township was found dead.Read More »
- Memorial Day services across Berks County
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- Police in Berks County investigating discovery of ATM skimmer
- Authorities ID victim in fatal Penn Township crash
- Fallen heroes honored at City Park in Reading
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- Updated Police searching for man accused of robbing Allentown shop with knife
- Updated Life Lessons: Closing the word gap for toddlers
- One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- Updated Crews respond to morning house fire in Alburtis
- A shower/strong thunderstorm this afternoon
- How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Mourners deliver flowers in memory of Ernie the giraffe
- Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather