MUHLENBERG TWP., Pa. - Firefighters made quick work of a fire that damaged the Burger King in Muhlenberg Twp., Berks Co., forcing the restaurant to close until further notice.
The call came in around 4:20 p.m. Tuesday for a reported fire and smoke filling the building, located at the North 5th Street Highway and Bellevue Avenue, said James Pollock Jr., the township's fire marshal and a detective with the Muhlenberg Township Police Dept.
Firefighters from Goodwill of Hyde Park, Temple, Central of Laureldale and Spring Township responded to the scene.
The crews arrived to find a fire inside the southwest corner of the restaurant and extending into the ceiling. They quickly went to work, keeping the fire from spreading beyond where it already was, Pollock said.
Investigators still haven't determined what sparked the fire, which caused approximately $5,000 in damage. Smoke damage will likely push the total above $10,000, Pollock said.
Township health officials responded to assess damage to food from the smoke and soot.
The Burger King will remain closed until the damage is cleaned up and the health department clears it to reopen, Pollock said.
A Central firefighter was transported to Reading Hospital for treatment of a heat-related illness, officials said.
Berks County will no longer provide sheriff or emergency services department resources for the popular Reading 120 bicycle race in 2017.Read More »
- UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Local tree service companies face busy week after storm
- Millersville women edge Kutztown in PSAC Tournament opener
- Middletown's buzzer-beater sinks Berks Catholic in District 3 semis
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Updated Nearly record warmth this afternoon and tomorrow with a few showers
- It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Updated Police arrest Hunterdon man on assault charges
- Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting