EXETER TWP., Pa. - A Berks County man suffered minor injuries in a fast-moving fire that destroyed his mobile home.
Firefighters were initially dispatched shortly before 2 p.m. Friday for a gas stove on fire inside the home in the 100 block of Bordic Road, not far from Route 422, in Exeter Township.
The first firefighters to arrive on the scene reported finding a "well-involved" fire. Photos posted on social media show a column of smoke visible from as far away as the Exeter Commons shopping center, about two miles away.
The fire was sparked by a gas grill being used by the homeowner inside the mobile home, according to Exeter fire Chief Robert Jordan.
"Naturally, we don't advise that at all," Jordan said. "Portable gas grills are made to use outside the structure, outside the residence."
The homeowner, whose name has not been released, fled the home instead of trying to fight the fire, resulting in him suffering only minor burns, Jordan said.
"He did do the right thing by," Jordan said. "He didn't fight the fire. He exited the structure right away, so we have to give him credit for that."
The home is a total loss, he added.
Do you have photos or videos that could help contribute to this story? Please be as descriptive as possible and also include the location (town/city) where the photo or video was taken.
CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD or use the form below.
- Wyomissing's Crowne Plaza to hold Dine in the Dark event
- Berks County services honor POW and MIA Recognition Day
- 2-car crash closed stretch of Route 222; 1 car hit building, 1 car in field
- Man turns his struggles with alopecia into inspiration for others
- Reading Mayor Wally Scott names acting city manager
- Program at Reading High places students with part-time work
- Cool and crisp for the first full day of fall with plenty of clouds and periods of rain
- Hunterdon County Prosecutor: Man, woman killed in murder-suicide
- Boy with heart condition leads Lehigh Valley Heart Walk
- Police investigating after raised dump truck crashes into Route 33 overpass
- Lehigh Valley ride honors police officers killed in line of duty
- Volunteers work to beautify downtown Allentown playground
- More than 600 volunteers pick up litter in Pottstown CARES event
- East Stroudsburg University partners with tribal nation
- Warren County Library System opens southwest branch
- Woman injured in Allentown shooting