Berks

Exeter man escapes fast-moving fire; mobile home destroyed

Homeowner suffered minor burns, fire chief says

EXETER TWP., Pa. - A Berks County man suffered minor injuries in a fast-moving fire that destroyed his mobile home.

Firefighters were initially dispatched shortly before 2 p.m. Friday for a gas stove on fire inside the home in the 100 block of Bordic Road, not far from Route 422, in Exeter Township.

The first firefighters to arrive on the scene reported finding a "well-involved" fire. Photos posted on social media show a column of smoke visible from as far away as the Exeter Commons shopping center, about two miles away.

The fire was sparked by a gas grill being used by the homeowner inside the mobile home, according to Exeter fire Chief Robert Jordan.

"Naturally, we don't advise that at all," Jordan said. "Portable gas grills are made to use outside the structure, outside the residence."

The homeowner, whose name has not been released, fled the home instead of trying to fight the fire, resulting in him suffering only minor burns, Jordan said.

"He did do the right thing by," Jordan said. "He didn't fight the fire. He exited the structure right away, so we have to give him credit for that."

The home is a total loss, he added.

Do you have photos or videos that could help contribute to this story? Please be as descriptive as possible and also include the location (town/city) where the photo or video was taken.

CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD  or use the form below.

 


DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

This Week's Circulars

Berks Area News

Latest From The Newsroom