READING, Pa. - Two people were injured in an explosion during a power outage that sent Reading Intermediate High School students home early on Wednesday.
The victims, a pair of school maintenance employees, were attempting to start the building's emergency generator during the outage when a battery inside the generator exploded, injuring both workers, according to Lt. Trent Zulick, Reading Fire Department.
City firefighters and paramedics were dispatched to the Citadel around 10:45 a.m. to assess the situation and treat the victims.
Both employees, whose names have not been released, were transported to the hospital, where they were last reported to be in stable condition, Zulick told 69 News.
The school dismissed its 2,300 students at 11:15 a.m.
District officials said they determined that the power outage in the Citadel's A wing was caused by a tripped breaker. Electricity has been restored.
Classes are set to resume on a regular schedule on Thursday, officials said.
The Humane Society of Berks County is experiencing an unexpected overflow of cats.Read More »
- MLK Jr. Day recognized with 'day of service' in Berks
- Man jailed in armed robbery of Turkey Hill in Reading
- Reading immigrants share their stories with library audience
- Gerrymandering case sows doubt in big year for House races
- Wind-driven fire destroys church in Hamburg
- Police seek man who robbed grocery store at gunpoint
- Meteorologist Clayton Stiver's latest forecast for snow
- Fisherman rescued after falling through ice in Honey Brook
- Updated MLK Jr. Day recognized with 'day of service' in Berks
- Updated Local business owner guesses the right price
- Updated Allentown group uses MLK Day to focus on students in district
- Updated Reading immigrants share their stories with library audience
- Sinkhole robs 7 families of their Bethlehem homes
- Updated Health Beat: TMR rewires bionic arm
- Positive Parenting: Quality Childcare
- Bump stock ban signed into law in New Jersey