2 hurt in generator explosion at Citadel; students sent home

Explosion happened during power outage

READING, Pa. - Two people were injured in an explosion during a power outage that sent Reading Intermediate High School students home early on Wednesday.

The victims, a pair of school maintenance employees, were attempting to start the building's emergency generator during the outage when a battery inside the generator exploded, injuring both workers, according to Lt. Trent Zulick, Reading Fire Department.

City firefighters and paramedics were dispatched to the Citadel around 10:45 a.m. to assess the situation and treat the victims.

Both employees, whose names have not been released, were transported to the hospital, where they were last reported to be in stable condition, Zulick told 69 News.

The school dismissed its 2,300 students at 11:15 a.m.

District officials said they determined that the power outage in the Citadel's A wing was caused by a tripped breaker. Electricity has been restored.

Classes are set to resume on a regular schedule on Thursday, officials said.

DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

This Week's Circulars

Berks Area News

Latest From The Newsroom