READING, Pa. - Groundhog Day is not complete without the predictions of Pennsylvania's Punxsutawney Phil and Patty Pagoda.
The two prognosticators prognosticated and their predictions differed.
When Punxsutawney Phil arrived at Gobbler's Knob in Punxsutawney, Pa., it was time for his prediction.
"We are the honor guard of Punxsutawney Phil, the seer of seers, prognosticator of prognosticators, the only true weather forecasting groundhog," said a member of Phil's inner circle.
But at the same time on Mount Penn in Reading, prognosticator Patty Pagoda was being woken up for her forecast.
Groundhog carolers explained what her job was.
"I am a groundhog living here. I have a job to do once a year. If I see a shadow when I peek, I'll hibernate for six more weeks."
But Patty was clear, with her baby by her side.
"Patty Pagoda did not see her shadow today we expect an early spring," said Mike Reinert, president of Pagoda-Skyline Inc.
"February, March always can be tricky, but I love Patty's prediction. I would love to have this kind of weather until spring," said Debbie Lafaveer of Temple.
"February has brought some bad storms hopefully Patty is correct," said Wendy Earley of Reading.
Another Berks County groundhog, Shoey Louie, only came out of his hole halfway and saw half his shadow.
Patty Pagoda said spring, Shoey Louie said three more weeks of winter and Punxsutawney Phil said, "Many shadows do I see, six more weeks of winter it must be."
It's anyone's guess.
- Health Beat: 5 ways to protect your eyes from aging
- Fallen heroes honored at City Park in Reading
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- Police in Berks County investigating discovery of ATM skimmer
- A shower/some drizzle this afternoon
- Authorities ID victim in fatal Penn Township crash
- Nazareth woman dies days after being struck by vehicle
- Man tells Allentown police he was stabbed in the back while walking along the street
- Walker Twp. man arrested for firing gun near neighbor's family gathering
- Life Lessons: The nurse who paints her patients