WYOMISSING, Pa. - Hundreds of viewer-captured images and videos of Thursday's hailstorm are continuing to shock people all across the region.
"[The storm was] like a bombing… like a bombing of hail," said Kimberly Hartman, of Reading, who shared video of the powerful ice chunks slamming into her pool. "It was coming in the house when we opened the back door.
Many said the hailstorm was unlike anything they had ever seen, especially in the spring.
"I texted my mom and said, 'This is the end of the world as we know it!'" recalled Jessica Bennicoff, who was working in Wyomissing when the storm hit. "It was nice and sunny and then all of a sudden it became black, started to downpour, and then the hail came. It sounded like a hurricane, [like] gunshots were going off."
Bennicoff's one-year-old car was pummeled by the hail, along with many of her coworkers'.
"It looked like a war zone," said Bennicoff. "Leaves everywhere, tree limbs down… the two trucks are coming and going, taking cars."
Carli Rapp, who was shopping at Broadcasting Square when the hail began, described the storm and its aftermath as something out of a movie.
"All the trees lost their leaves and after the storm it was foggy," Rapp said. "It was just so bizarre. It was scary."
Rapp's car is also now damaged, and she and many others are hoping the hail won't return.
"I hope nothing else happens to anyone's car or anything," said Rapp. "It was crazy. I've never seen anything like it."Images: Region hit hard by fast-moving hailstorm
Berks County will no longer provide sheriff or emergency services department resources for the popular Reading 120 bicycle race in 2017.Read More »
- UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Local tree service companies face busy week after storm
- Millersville women edge Kutztown in PSAC Tournament opener
- Middletown's buzzer-beater sinks Berks Catholic in District 3 semis
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Updated Nearly record warmth this afternoon and tomorrow with a few showers
- It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Updated Police arrest Hunterdon man on assault charges
- Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting