WYOMISSING, Pa. - Hundreds of viewer-captured images and videos of Thursday's hailstorm are continuing to shock people all across the region.
"[The storm was] like a bombing… like a bombing of hail," said Kimberly Hartman, of Reading, who shared video of the powerful ice chunks slamming into her pool. "It was coming in the house when we opened the back door.
Many said the hailstorm was unlike anything they had ever seen, especially in the spring.
"I texted my mom and said, 'This is the end of the world as we know it!'" recalled Jessica Bennicoff, who was working in Wyomissing when the storm hit. "It was nice and sunny and then all of a sudden it became black, started to downpour, and then the hail came. It sounded like a hurricane, [like] gunshots were going off."
Bennicoff's one-year-old car was pummeled by the hail, along with many of her coworkers'.
"It looked like a war zone," said Bennicoff. "Leaves everywhere, tree limbs down… the two trucks are coming and going, taking cars."
Carli Rapp, who was shopping at Broadcasting Square when the hail began, described the storm and its aftermath as something out of a movie.
"All the trees lost their leaves and after the storm it was foggy," Rapp said. "It was just so bizarre. It was scary."
Rapp's car is also now damaged, and she and many others are hoping the hail won't return.
"I hope nothing else happens to anyone's car or anything," said Rapp. "It was crazy. I've never seen anything like it."Images: Region hit hard by fast-moving hailstorm
Last Memorial Day, 24-year-old Ryan Benjamin of East Vincent Township was found dead.Read More »
- Memorial Day services across Berks County
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- Police in Berks County investigating discovery of ATM skimmer
- Authorities ID victim in fatal Penn Township crash
- Fallen heroes honored at City Park in Reading
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- Updated Police searching for man accused of robbing Allentown shop with knife
- Updated Life Lessons: Closing the word gap for toddlers
- One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- Updated Crews respond to morning house fire in Alburtis
- A shower/strong thunderstorm this afternoon
- How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Mourners deliver flowers in memory of Ernie the giraffe
- Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather