HERSHEY - Former Royals goaltender Riley Gill has signed with the team's AHL-affiliate, the Hershey Bears. Gill was instrumental in Reading's Kelly Cup championship last season, earning ECHL Playoff MVP honors.
Gill, 28, spent most of the 2012-13 season with the SPHL's Louisiana IceGators. Despite joining the Bears' ECHL affiliate Reading Royals in February, Gill finished the season as the SPHL leader in shutouts (five) and tied for the league lead in victories (25).
The 6-1, 215-pound native of Northfield, Minnesota made an immediate impact in Reading. In 14 appearances in the Royals net, Gill finished with a mark of 10-3-1 and three shutouts, and became the first Royals goaltender to earn Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week honors in back-to-back weeks. He was also selected as the Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month of March.
The Royals later captured the franchise's first Kelly Cup championship behind Gill, who went on to earn the ECHL Playoff MVP honor after posting a 13-3-1 playoff mark and four shutouts.
- Exeter man charged in alleged check fraud scheme
- Reading City Council awards towing contract
- Leibrandt, Pullin pace Reading in series opener at Harrisburg
- Royals' season ends in Game 6 of first round series
- Last day for Bowl-O-Rama? 'It'll be a shame'
- Penn State Health St. Joseph hires new financial chief
- Updated Northampton DA to announce findings in baby's 2016 death at day care
- Updated Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Updated Man accused of hitting, killing wife with truck to stand trial
- State police asking for help in Chester County cold case
- Periods of rain or drizzle this afternoon; spotty rain or drizzle continues through early tomorrow
- Updated NASCAR star Dale Earnhardt Jr. to retire at end of season
- 5K aims to promote importance of flexibility
- Four visits by Easton police equal one arrest
- Life Lessons: Grandparents get geeky
- Commission set to vote on New Jersey statehouse renovations