BOYERTOWN, Pa. - A historic railroad was reborn across Berks and Montgomery counties Wednesday morning.
Lawmakers and other local officials joined honorary guests for a special preview ride on the Colebrookdale Railroad as it traveled from Boyertown to Pottstown, along the "secret valley."
"This is a milestone for us," said Nathaniel Guest, president of the Colebrookdale Railroad Preservation Trust.
Guest, with the help of hundreds of volunteers and millions in grant and donation dollars, managed to get the project on track and revive the Civil War-era line. Come next year, tourist and rail freight service trains will be running once again, he said.
"It's an area of scenic beauty, great history and great culture," Guest said. "A ride on the Colebrookdale Railroad will include not only great scenery but the educational component, of the great history of the railroad."
Parts of the train are more than 100-years-old and newly restored. Further restoration could begin as soon as this week.
"It's absolutely incredible. It's beginning to take shape and it helps me understand the potential that this has for this community," said Commissioner Christian Leinbach, R-Berks County.
The railroad will be open to the public for a preview season this October. The full season is expected to begin in October 2015.
Officials said they expect the railroad to bring new jobs, millions of dollars in economic impact and thousands of visitors annually.
Additionally, Guest said a new train station will be built in Boyertown, the result of having recently secured a $200,000 grant.
"There's a great, brilliant future ahead for Pottstown and Boyertown," said Guest.Images: All aboard the Colebrookdale Railroad
Berks County will no longer provide sheriff or emergency services department resources for the popular Reading 120 bicycle race in 2017.Read More »
- UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Local tree service companies face busy week after storm
- Millersville women edge Kutztown in PSAC Tournament opener
- Middletown's buzzer-beater sinks Berks Catholic in District 3 semis
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Updated Nearly record warmth this afternoon and tomorrow with a few showers
- It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Updated Police arrest Hunterdon man on assault charges
- Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting