ALSACE TWP., Pa. - A hit-and-run crash closed a stretch of Pricetown Road/Route 12 in Berks County for several hours Thursday night and early Friday morning.
The car involved took out a utility pole, which brought down down power lines between Skyline Drive and Antietam Road in Alsace Township, according to the township's fire chief.
"Once we got here, we found out the wires were down in the roadway," said Alsace Manor fire Chief Wendy Becker. "A transformer was involved. It was leaking fluid."
The car fled the scene, but it was located a short time later on Mount Laurel Road, the chief said.
Nearly 500 Met-Ed customers lost electricity as a result of the crash.
Angelo Giannotti, owner of Giannotti's Country Manor, already had a crowd in house when the power went out and didn't want to lose anybody before the Philadelphia Eagles game kicked off.
"We had a generator," Giannotti said. "We had to scramble a little bit."
That's when Eagles fan Deb Steffe arrived.
"We didn't know the power was out 'til we got here," Steffe said.
Was she concerned about missing the game?
"Yes, yes, very concerned about the Eagles game."
But thanks to the generators and a subsequent power restore for the restaurant, Steffe was ready for kickoff.
"I was excited, elated. Gonna watch the Eagles win."
Pricetown Road was reopened shortly after 1 a.m. Friday.
In a world as polarized as ours, two cornerstones of convenience store satisfaction separate us like nothing else.Read More »
- Berks students walk out of schools to protest gun violence
- Funeral draws hundreds for boy, 12, born with half a heart
- VF Outlet adjusting to new home at 'The Knitting Mills'
- Southwest offers apology, $5K to passengers on damaged jet
- Wrong-way driving precedes crash on Route 61 in Berks
- Plane passenger dilemma: Protect child or try to save victim
- Coroner identifies woman found dead in Monroe County
- Bloomsburg mayor accused of soliciting prostitutes
- Food Truck food drive draws a crowd
- WFMZ & Dorney Park Team Up For 2nd Food Truck Food Drive For Second Harvest
- Police investigating shots fired at Allentown tattoo shop
- State police seeking information on jewelry theft in Bucks County
- Funeral for Barbara Bush held Saturday
- History's Headlines: Charles Ellet: Bridge builder, warrior, Pennsylvanian
- Easton resident finds drawers disturbed after letting in fake water company employee
- Holistic health coach talks Spring detox diet