LOWER HEIDELBERG TWP., Pa. - An active homicide investigation continues in a rural part of Berks County.
The body of an unidentified woman was found dumped at 4 p.m. Sunday on Riegel Road, near Faust Road, in Lower Heidelberg Township, according to Berks County District Attorney John Adams, who said that the person wasn't killed there.
"We firmly believe that this murder took place at another location," he said.
The commotion in the area has neighbors nervous.
"I am very confused, and I guess it's a little nerve-pracking," said Betsy Graham, who recently moved her family to a home not far from where the body was discovered.
Roma Starosciak has been living there for decades and can't remember anything like this happening.
"I am shocked, because we never have anything like that before. No crime, no nothing," Starosciak said.
Where do investigators stand right now?
"We're pursuing all types of leads," Adams said.
The area where the body was left is a popular walking spot for neighbors, but one woman is rethinking that.
"Riegel Road is so peaceful. We usually walk there. I don't know if we'll walk there anymore," Graham said.
Adams said residents should not be concerned.
"There is no threat to Lower Heidelberg or anyone in that area," he said.
An autopsy was planned for Monday night.
Parents who have kids in the Governor Mifflin School District spoke out tonight at a community forum and town hall-style meeting, as the district looked to take the conversation off social media and bring it face-to-face with parents.Read More »
- Pothole-riddled road causes problems for Centre residents
- Man accused of embezzling more than $400K from employer
- Reading High School to install new, HD security cameras
- Pa. Senate leaders, US congressmen sue over district map
- Commissioner: Pa. plans to eliminate county-owned homes
- Franklin Street Station on track for opening of gastropub
- Updated Parkland schools closed after fire tears through bus garage
- Man shot in the arm outside Allentown nightclub
- Chilly today with more rain, some ice to the north
- PHOTOS: Fire destroys Parkland school buses
- Man critical after being shot in the face in Allentown
- Updated Check in with Eve Russo and baby Maeve
- Life Lessons: Budgeting on a roller coaster income
- William Allen student arrested, charged with making threats
- Planners updated on Five City Center, Lafayette College projects
- Hearing on fracking draws dozens, many opposed