KUTZTOWN, Pa. - Tensions on the field will be high in Kutztown. Hamburg High School's starting quarterback Joe Cominksy, who was caught on camera bashing an opponent in the head with his helmet, is expected to take the field.
Cominsky sat out the first two games following the incident. People in Kutztown are still shaken by his actions.
"I thought it was poor sportsmanship. I mean, I cheered my whole life and I cheered for football players, so when I heard about it, I just thought that it was wrong," said Aliyah Mengel, of Kutztown.
"You should not do those actions in any type of game, whether it is allowed or not. You should always limit yourself. I play roller derby. I limit myself," said Mandy Adams, of Kutztown.
Now, three weeks after the fight, the Hamburg Area School District is allowing Cominsky to go back onto the field. People in Kutztown have differing opinions.
"I do not think that is a good decision. It is going to set a bad example to other players who think they can just do what they want and just not have any consequences. They need to be held responsible for what they did and sit out the whole season," said Michael Salazar, of Kutztown.
"I personally would keep an eye out, but I would not be too worried about it because, after a while, everybody learns their lesson," said Adams.
And others just hope the coaches and referees keep a close eye on him.
"Any sign of frustration or anything from him, I would say pull him as soon as possible," said Mengel.
Defenders of Cominsky said he was provoked.
South Annville Township police have yet to announce if Cominsky will face any criminal charges.
A brazen crime spree that spread up and down the East Coast of the United States may have come to an end in Berks County.Read More »
- Man dies nearly week after motorcycle crash in Spring
- Veteran of 2 wars tapped as grand marshal of Exeter parade
- 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' to be performed live in Reading
- Kutztown baseball punches ticket to District 3 championship game
- Wilson WL girls make history with semifinal win over Governor Mifflin
- Fightins drop 3rd straight in series opener at Trenton
- New Jersey resident finds severed foot and partial ankle in sneaker
- DA criticizes state police investigation of shooting by troopers
- Going the distance: Local couple celebrates 2,700 rides on Dorney's "Steel Force"
- 3 white men, 2 white women seated for Cosby jury
- Pershing Square reduces holding in Air Products
- Rehearsal underway for 2017 Freddy's
- Crews assessing damage after car slams into restaurant
- Stroudsburg church to begin 'organ' transplant
- PSU Berks, Penn State Health St. Joseph team up for new 'Launchbox'
- Police: Upper Saucon man shoots nephew, chases him on golf cart