GREENWICH TWP., Pa. - Interstate 78 East in Berks County reopened Saturday morning after a fiery, chain-reaction wreck Friday evening.
Five vehicles were involved in the crash on I-78 in Greenwich Township, including four tractor trailers and a Mercedes sedan, police said. The accident happened near Lenhartsville interchange (Exit 35) just before 5:30 p.m.
Both eastbound lanes remained closed until about 8:30 a.m. Saturday, when one lane reopened. The second lane was reopened by 10 a.m.
A Freightliner truck was traveling east on I-78 in the right lane, followed by a Mack truck and tractor trailer, according to state police.
Alongside the Mack truck, in the left lane, was another tractor trailer followed by a Mercedes sedan.
Police said traffic began to slow near milepost 38.1, and all vehicles involved in the wreck slowed down, except the tractor trailer all the way in the back.
The tractor trailer collided with the left side of the Mercedes and the back of the Mack truck in front of it. That caused chain-reaction, rear-end collisions in both ends, with the Mercedes hitting the tractor trailer in front of it and the Mack truck hitting the Freightliner.
The crash caused the tractor portion of the tractor trailer in the back to burst into flames. The fire then spread to the Mack truck and other tractor trailer.
The driver of the truck all the way in the back suffered burn injuries, and the driver and the passenger of the Mercedes also suffered minor injuries.
Authorities are still investigating the crash.
President Trump hosts a public safety medal of valor awards ceremony in...Read More »
A high school teacher accused of having indecent contact with one of his students will spend the next seven years on probation.Read More »
- Smucker: New congressional map result of 'judicial activism'
- Truck hauling human waste goes off road near Boyertown
- Months-long bridge project closes Blacksmith Road in Amity
- New congressional map presents challenges for Berks leaders
- Hope meets hockey: Royals players on mission to help others
- Pa. court's new congressional map has big impact on Berks
- 3 arrested in stabbing of East Stroudsburg student
- Behind-the-scenes preview of the 2018 Greater Lehigh Valley Auto Show
- Philadelphia's Coldilocks, oldest polar bear in US, dies
- Updated Safety bill requires metal detectors, armed guards in schools
- Updated Albertsons Companies merges with portion of Rite Aid
- Updated Fmr. Stroudsburg area coach sentenced for sexual abuse
- Proposed bill allows courts to seize guns from people deemed a threat
- Second Harvest Food Bank receives $36K donation
- Allentown investigates city malware breach
- Updated Early end Tuesday to testimony in Allentown pay-to-play trial