SALEM, Va. - The Kutztown softball team edged Humboldt State on Friday, 1-0, in the NCAA Division II Championships. The Golden Bears are now two wins away from a national title.
Senior shortstop Brianna Knipe laid down a bunt to score Maria Isgro from third that lifted Kutztown Friday afternoon in the second round of the NCAA Division II National Softball Championship at the James I. Moyer Sports Complex.
The Golden Bears (36-21) advance to the semifinals of the national softball championships for the second straight year. They will play next on Sunday, May 26 at 2:30 p.m. against a team to be determined (Texas Woman's, Molloy, or Grand Valley State). A win would advance KU to the national championship game on Memorial Day at 12 p.m., and a loss would have Kutztown play Sunday night at 7:30 p.m.
Kutztown won its 13th consecutive game including all 11 in the postseason as both teams entered Friday evening's game with an extended winning streak. Kutztown snapped Humboldt's (53-14) 18-game winning streak and handed the Jacks their first postseason loss of the season.
- Two zoos mourn the loss of Ernie the giraffe
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- Updated Walking a mile in their shoes
- Updated Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather
- Updated A place of healing for veterans
- Updated Weather stops big guest at Pottstown Memorial Day parade
- Updated 'Taps' echoes over Bethlehem
- Updated Memorial Day services across Berks County
- Updated Marking Memorial Day in the Lehigh Valley
- No extreme warmth or cold over the next 7 to 10 days