LYNN TWP., Pa. - A Kutztown Area High School senior died in a crash near the border between Berks and Lehigh counties early Saturday morning.
Kaci Kunkel, 18, died when her vehicle hit a telephone pole and rolled over just before 5 a.m. on Route 143 in Lynn Township, Lehigh County, north of Kempton.
Kutztown Area School District Superintendent George Fiore issued a statement to students and parents informing them of Kunkle's death.
"For those of you who knew Kaci, we ask that you remember and celebrate her infectious smile and her hardworking spirit," he said. "For those of you who did not know Kaci, we ask that you respect our sadness and support us with your understanding."
Fiore said a team of psychologists and counselors will be on hand at the high school Monday to provide support to Kunkel's fellow students.
"Additionally, there will be counseling support for students at the Berks Career and Technology Centers and all Kutztown Area Schools," Fiore said. "Students who need additional support should contact their school counselor."
Route 143 was closed between Donats Peak Road and Allemaengel Road for a few hours Saturday morning.
Authorities have identified the man who was killed in a crash on the West Shore Bypass in Reading on Sunday.Read More »
- 2-alarm fire damages apartment building in Wyomissing
- Man killed in crash on West Shore Bypass in Reading
- Hamburg woman killed, husband injured in domestic incident
- Allentown bests Reading 3-2 in Battle of the Badges hockey game
- Dunkin Donuts holds ribbon-cutting ceremony in Berks
- Multiple-rollover crash shuts down I-78 West in Berks County
- Updated Pa. Supreme Court to unveil new congressional map
- Man charged with aggravated assault in Red Hill incident
- Updated Coroner IDs man killed in crash on West Shore Bypass
- Man slashed during fight in Giant parking lot in Allentown
- Life Lessons: Make the First Five Count
- A message from WFMZ's Eve Russo
- Updated 2-alarm fire damages apartment building in Wyomissing
- Updated Man killed in crash on West Shore Bypass in Reading
- Updated Hamburg woman killed, husband injured in domestic incident
- Allentown defeats Reading in 13th annual Battle of the Badges hockey game