READING, Pa. - Police are looking for the motive behind a shooting that left a young man dead in Reading overnight.
Officers responded around 11:30 p.m. Sunday to reports of shots fired in the area of North 4th and Elm streets.
Police arrived to find a man, identified as Donnie Edwards III, lying in the vestibule of a home with a gunshot wound to his chest, according to officials.
Edwards, 22, of Roanoke, Va., died at the scene, said Berks County Coroner Dennis Hess. His death was ruled a homicide, the 12th in the city this year, police said.
Edwards was running for cover when he was hit by a bullet fired from across the street, police said.
"The block was very active at that time of night," said Capt. Damond Kloc, Reading Police Dept. "We have interviewed a number of people. We're still collecting information. The phone's been ringing."
Samantha Rios, who lives in the neighborhood, said more witnesses are not coming forward because they fear for their lives.
"Last night was just the tip of the iceberg. We're like, we definitely have to move out," said Rios. "I just saw the flashes of lights and the cops came and they cut off the whole block."
Anyone with information about the homicide can call Crime Alert Berks County, which is offering a cash reward of up to $10,000. The toll-free number to call is 877-373-9913.
Berks County will no longer provide sheriff or emergency services department resources for the popular Reading 120 bicycle race in 2017.Read More »
- UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Local tree service companies face busy week after storm
- Millersville women edge Kutztown in PSAC Tournament opener
- Middletown's buzzer-beater sinks Berks Catholic in District 3 semis
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Updated Nearly record warmth this afternoon and tomorrow with a few showers
- It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Updated Police arrest Hunterdon man on assault charges
- Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting