READING, Pa. - Police are looking for the motive behind a shooting that left a young man dead in Reading overnight.
Officers responded around 11:30 p.m. Sunday to reports of shots fired in the area of North 4th and Elm streets.
Police arrived to find a man, identified as Donnie Edwards III, lying in the vestibule of a home with a gunshot wound to his chest, according to officials.
Edwards, 22, of Roanoke, Va., died at the scene, said Berks County Coroner Dennis Hess. His death was ruled a homicide, the 12th in the city this year, police said.
Edwards was running for cover when he was hit by a bullet fired from across the street, police said.
"The block was very active at that time of night," said Capt. Damond Kloc, Reading Police Dept. "We have interviewed a number of people. We're still collecting information. The phone's been ringing."
Samantha Rios, who lives in the neighborhood, said more witnesses are not coming forward because they fear for their lives.
"Last night was just the tip of the iceberg. We're like, we definitely have to move out," said Rios. "I just saw the flashes of lights and the cops came and they cut off the whole block."
Anyone with information about the homicide can call Crime Alert Berks County, which is offering a cash reward of up to $10,000. The toll-free number to call is 877-373-9913.
The Boyertown Area School District has hired an architectural firm to look at ways student privacy can be enhanced in the high school's locker rooms and restrooms.Read More »
- UGI Energy Services presents scholarship to Berks foundation
- Kutztown baseball making most of playoff run
- Smucker joins bipartisan effort to combat human trafficking
- Reading postpones opening of city-owned swimming pool
- Quaker Maid plant mural to portray images unique to Reading
- Police ID suspect in shooting of man in Reading
- 15 years has gone by fast for Freddy Awards
- Updated Frackville police investigating man's 'suspicious' death
- Updated Boyertown looks to enhance privacy in restrooms, locker rooms
- New Jose Rosado and the Allentown School District at odds over book
- New VFW Awareness Day at Catasauqua school
- New Pennsylvania mushroom farms face labor shortage
- Updated UGI Energy Services presents scholarship to Berks foundation
- UGI Defends Proposed Bethlehem Gas Storage Tank Proposal
- Veterans highlight issues faced by those returning from war
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime