JEFFERSON TWP., Pa. - A 23-year-old Berks County man died after being in a head-on collision early Thursday.
State police said Robert Alan Koch Jr. of Bernville was killed in the crash in Jefferson Township.
It happened around 2:30 a.m. on Route 183, also known as Bernville Road.
Police said Koch was traveling north at a high rate of speed when he lost control.
Witnesses traveling behind Koch told police they saw Koch's car weaving and leaving the roadway. He over-corrected, re-entered the highway, and crashed head-on into a pickup truck heading south.
According to police, Koch was not wearing a seat belt.
Koch was pronounced dead at the scene. The Berks County coroner said Koch died of multiple blunt force trauma. His death was ruled an accident.
The driver of the pickup, 43-year-old Brian Lutz of Bernville, was taken to Reading Hospital with moderate injuries. Lutz was wearing a seat belt, police said.
Route 183 was closed in both directions for around two hours while the scene was cleared.
- Updated Vehicle hits apartment building in Wyomissing
- Bethlehem Twp. police search for purse snatchers
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- Today cooler, closer to seasonable with more clouds than sun
- Yo ho ho! Pennsylvania aims to smash US embargo on Cuban rum
- Girlfriend's on-air killing drives anchorman into politics
- New Salvation Army opens in Berks
- First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA
- President Trump signs executive order on trade while in Pennsylvania
- Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire