READING, Pa. - A Berks County native is on a cross-country mission.
Ryan Lee Gehris is cycling from California to New York. He arrived Thursday afternoon in Reading, where he stopped at the Vietnam Veterans War Memorial in City Park to see his grandfather's name on the wall.
Gehris said his family's military background inspired him to turn his trip into a fundraiser for the Children of Fallen Patriots organization.
"And they help with scholarships, educational counseling for young students that have lost their mother or father overseas or in war conflicts or even in military accidents," Gehris said.
Gehris said he named his fundraising campaign "Pedaling for Pattie" after his mother. He's raised more than $2,500, so far.
A day after being told he's out as Reading's managing director, Glenn Steckman is firing back at his former boss, Mayor Wally Scott.Read More »
- Car 'nowhere to be found' after crash on Route 61 in Hamburg
- Fast-moving flames engulf motorhome near Virginville
- Trooper from Berks suspended after alleged assault on fiance
- Fightin Phils' field set for first football game in 35 years
- RSD board to consider plans for cooling middle schools
- Hamburg fugitive's dad speaks out after son jumps into river
- Gunman dead in shooting at judge's office in western Pa.
- Updated Allentown narrowly approves debt refinancing
- Final Downtown Alive concert of the summer
- Search for man who shot, killed parents in Chester County
- Mayor responds to former city manager's comments
- Dog the Bounty Hunter to join search for Shawn Christy
- South Whitehall to purchase three fire department vehicles
- Council members say faith is lost in Phillipsburg mayor
- PHOTOS: Galactic Empire headlines final Downtown Alive concert of 2018
- Grants and rebates for electric vehicle charging stations announced