READING, Pa. - A Berks County man is facing homicide charges in the beating death of his 89-year-old mother, District Attorney John Adams announced Wednesday.
Edna Shifflett died on May 23; the coroner's office ruled last Tuesday that her death was a homicide, the result of injuries she suffered in an assault inside her home on April 25.
Edna Shifflett told a doctor treating her in the emergency room at Reading Hospital that night that her son, Charles Shifflett, hit her several times in the head with a closed fist, according to court documents.
She suffered severe bruising on the left side of her head and bleeding on her brain, police said.
Charles Shifflett, 64, has been behind bars in the Berks County Jail on charges of aggravated and simple assault and harassment since the alleged beating.
Adams told 69 News that he expects to file homicide charges against him soon.
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society
- Legendary coach honored in Kutztown
- Boyertown drops Pope John Paul II in PAC baseball tilt
- Police say couple had guns, thousands of dollars of drugs
- Volunteers clean up Schuylkill River Trail for Earth Day
- Brandywine Hts. softball preparing for rivalry game with Kutztown
- Eric Frein's strategy to avoid death: Blame Dad
- Paramedic reunites with family he helped decades ago
- Runners take on St. Luke's Half Marathon
- 2.3 magnitude earthquake hits Lancaster County
- Trump nears 100 days: 'It's a different kind of presidency'
- Ex-clerk files federal lawsuit claiming Alpha Borough allowed sexual harassment
- State police: Trooper, 2 people in SUV injured in crash
- April the giraffe becomes a cash cow for tiny zoo
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Local libraries fight to survive cuts