SHOEMAKERSVILLE, Pa. - The small Berks County borough of Shoemakersville was rocked by violence early Monday morning.
A man fatally shot a woman and then himself around 1 a.m. in separate locations in the area of Fourth and Chestnut streets, according to authorities on the scene of the murder-suicide.
The victims were identified as Garry Maurer, 61, who lived at 425 Chestnut Street, and Carol Zimmerman, 50, who lived in nearby Mohrsville.
A neighbor told WFMZ's Alexandra Hogan that she had just returned home from work when she heard screaming outside her home on Fourth Street.
"So I went to the front door to check, and this lady was coming in my driveway," said Charity Groff. "She said please help me, and she came to my door and she banged on it, and I told her that I was going to call 911"
"I was on the phone with 911, and they basically told me to stay in my house, do not open the doors," Groff said.
Still on the phone with 911, Groff said she heard a gunshot and then looked outside to find Zimmerman lying on her back porch.
"God had his hand on my house and my family," Groff said. "It's basically a miracle, because I never opened the door, and I can't imagine if I did."
"We don't know what would've happened if she would've been able to get into the house, if Garry would've followed her into house," said Trooper David Beohm, Pennsylvania State Police.
Troopers converged on the scene, not yet knowing the circumstances surrounding the shooting. They were soon drawn to Maurer's home on Chestnut Street.
"The front door was open and the lights were on," Beohm said. "We had our helicopter come up here to survey the area, because we want to be very cautious because we already have someone here deceased."
"At or around 5 o'clock this morning, we looked inside the front door and saw Garry deceased inside the house," Beohm added.
Zimmerman worked as a bookkeeper for Maurer's mother, who died on March 8, according to state police. Investigators said they do not know why Zimmerman was at Maurer's home early Monday morning.
- Reading Red Knights sent to championship game in style
- Police ID victim of fatal pedestrian accident in Marion
- Womelsdorf man killed in crash on Route 501 in Bethel
- Reading businesses prepare for Red Knights watch parties
- Reading High boys receiving huge support from community
- Boyertown girls, clutch in this state tournament, ready for big stage
- Updated Jury reaches verdict in trial of Penn State ex-president
- Updated Driver killed, another injured in crash in Exeter
- Updated 2 charged in 2013 killing of 16-year-old in Allentown
- Updated Reading Red Knights sent to championship game in style
- Updated Prosecutor: Penn State trial jury kept focus on kids
- Updated Health Beat: Operation Walk USA
- Police allege suspect tries to run after officer finds stolen gun
- Woman guilty of kidnapping baby from KOP food court
- Suspect in sex assault case backs out of plea deal
- Air Products announces it will not purchase Yingde Gases Group